Iron sulfate (Copperas) gives reddish fluid in one solution & White foamy cloud in other PLEASE HELP

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ItsaboutROI

So i extracted some gold from gold filled jewelry that has some type of magnetic base metal with iodine solution of potassium iodide 70% & Crystal iodine 30% + 200ml water. dropped the gold with vitamin C but before using sodium hydroxide so i added sodium hydroxide and a busch of stuff dropped as powder. So i Filtered the powder and decided in order to make sure that i got rid of any other magnetic base metals so that the finished powder can be melted and assayed then sold (it cannot be sold w/ magnetic base metals because it's no good for jewelry making then i guess...blah). I decided to use hcl & bleach on the powder which was brownish to grayish. I tried to drop gold with SMB which didn't really work, so after referring to Hoke's book i realized i had not evaporated the CL. So next I waited for bleach to evaporate by putting solution in the sun for hours, which kind of worked (UV rays breaking down the AuCL bonds i think) . At this point i let the solution sit in sun for a few hours next day again & i decided to use some iron sulfate to make sure everything drops so i know for sure i have my gold. then i could at least start over. After using the Iron sulfate per Hoke's instructions the book; I had one solution turn black and precipitate a foamy white cloud, another solution (i had done the HCl & CL in several smaller jars) didn't precipitate anything but upon adding the iron sulphate it did give off a reddish liquid which dissipated but no red fumes or gas came out of solutions

2 questions:

1) Is the white foamy cloud silver nitrate, and if so is it worth recovering and do you think any gold is somewhere on the bottom or in that white foamy cloud? I have attached a photo of this solution.

2) Does the solution that created a reddish fluid which dissipated still have to much CL in it causing the reddish fluid which dissipated? I thought if there was CL it would create the brown smoke?

Thank you guys in advance for your help. I think this forum is amazing and surely helps lots of people & i am great-full i found it. I am not a chemist and somewhat of a beginner at this. (tried it before using a kit from internet with all ingredients separated and steps laid out)

20191005_231757.jpg

I do not know where to start, but then again it does not sound like you do either.

So you took some gold-filled scrap and recovered some powders, then took these powders and ended up with more powders.

It sounds like you are working with some dangerous chemistry to me, and it does not sound like the chemistry is working very well.

What gold how do you know where the gold went?

well I had about 400 grams of gold filled jewelry that was all marked. After putting it into the iodine solution I saw it all come off into the solution I even think the solution got saturated as it started stripping the gold off but not absorbing it after a while so I removed the jewelry from the solution then I made an error and added vitamin C to drop the gold which actually did drop lot of tan powder and the solution turned clear . it was looking very nice and then I went back to my instructions and realized that I was supposed to add sodium hydroxide first then add the vitamin C so probably like an idiot I added sodium hydroxide after most of the stuff had precipitated.. the solution got darker but then it settled over night and there was Brown and gray powder at the bottom. so I filtered the powder out. Tested he solution with stannous chloride and didn't get any color change.. so I figured the gold was in the powder but since it was not a nice tan Brown and had some gray in it. ... I figured there may be magnetic base Metals in there so I added the powder to Hcl and started adding bleach to get the gold absorbed so that I could filter out the hcl bleach solution with the gold then drop the gold with smb.. after adding the bleach bit by bit I saw the solution start to turn yellowish and then turn more goldish Brown so I figured it had absorbed the gold.. Like an idiot i didnt test the solution with stannous chloride before attempting to drop the gold with SMB. so because i added the SMB the stannous Chloride will not work.. and From This Moment forth the story continues with my original post where I put the solution in the Sun and then attempted to drop it with iron sulfate.... I am new to this and would appreciate any assistance I probably should have just bought a kit from the internet like I had done before. However I did not want to deal with acid and urea and that's why I chose to do the iodine method which does not give off any dangerous fumes. But now I've gotten myself into this situation. Blah.

So you do not know if this mess had gold or not?
You do not need to buy any kit off the internet.

But in my opinion, you could get an education and possibly learn to safely recover and refine gold with some time studying the forum.

Put a copper bar in your solution and store it in a safe place.
Put the dangerous chemicals safely away from children and animals...

You can learn to treat the toxic solutions you have made, read dealing with waste in the forum's safety section.

Many, many "misunderstandings". For example using ascorbic acid and stannous chloride in alkaline media.To recover gold from gold potassium iodide just simmer twice with caustic soda concentrated solution. The powder can be treated with nitric acid to remove iodine traces

So when i added vitamin C (w/ out adding the sodium hydroxide) after leaching with the potassium iodide iodine solution the powder that precipitated was the gold?

Latest posts

Back