Is a yellow solution from nitric a specific indication?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragnor

I conducted a test on a 1 gram ore sample today in a 25ml beaker using just enough 68%nitric to cover the sample and further diluted that solution with an equal volume of water. A nice slow dissolution (safety conscious).

Again I get a yellow solution which turns to a rusty orange at higher concentrations.

I have started doing some reading, but have not run across the answers yet as to what colors mean what metals.

Is the yellow reaction specific to a certain metal? That last batch that started off like this did test positive for platinum (stannous test) after it was fully reacted.

Thank you for the response.

I'm going to add this image. Can anyone confirm that this is a positive result for platinum using stannous test?
This is the result from the solution I made made today. I have not yet added any hcl or salt.

Also I was wrong, it's a 50ml beaker ;)

Attachments

• pt2.PNG
    pt2.PNG
    1.2 MB
Check this thread.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=5271&p=45030#p45030

Göran

Ag, Au, Pt is a very high probability for this material.

pt3.PNG

"I don't know Herman, that looks like pyrite to me", I said. "That's the gold!" the old man snapped back at me angrily.....

Latest posts

Back