Is there a easy way to strip and replate a Gold Watch with goldstipper.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAL9000

Hi folks, I started with Watchmaking and want to strip the worn 20micron gold plating from a watchcase to replate it evenly.

There are many tutorials online but since I am in Germany, it's impossible to access all chemicals legally.

I want to reuse the original Goldmixture and I am looking for a smart way to electroplate the stripped Goldmixture back on the Item.

Two non-toxic Products (Powder and a Liquid) are easily available for stripping gold, but I can't figure out how to plate back.

1: Goldstripper SG-9 - gold leaching agent - AU Stripper
s-l1600.jpg

In the Ebay-description it says, you can recover the Gold by Electrolysis. Can't imagine that I will just add some voltage and the Gold will be back on the Item.
Can anybody share some wisdom?

2: Goldstripper 100
34497_0.jpg

Same here, no Info at all.

In Germany, I can only buy a limited amount of acids so I am looking for a legal way in the first place, but if a"Grey" solution will be cheaper and faster I am willing to try my luck ;)

Thanks upfront for the Help and Greeting from Berlin,
Artur

Hi folks, I started with Watchmaking and want to strip the worn 20micron gold plating from a watchcase to replate it evenly.

There are many tutorials online but since I am in Germany, it's impossible to access all chemicals legally.

I want to reuse the original Goldmixture and I am looking for a smart way to electroplate the stripped Goldmixture back on the Item.

Two non-toxic Products (Powder and a Liquid) are easily available for stripping gold, but I can't figure out how to plate back.

1: Goldstripper SG-9 - gold leaching agent - AU Stripper
s-l1600.jpg

In the Ebay-description it says, you can recover the Gold by Electrolysis. Can't imagine that I will just add some voltage and the Gold will be back on the Item.
Can anybody share some wisdom?

2: Goldstripper 100
34497_0.jpg

Same here, no Info at all.

In Germany, I can only buy a limited amount of acids so I am looking for a legal way in the first place, but if a"Grey" solution will be cheaper and faster I am willing to try my luck ;)

Thanks upfront for the Help and Greeting from Berlin,
Artur

Hal9000, please don't double post. I've combined your 2 threads here.

You probably didn't receive any responses to your first post for a couple of reasons:

First, we deal with refining gold here, not plating. There are forums out there that specialize in plating and finishing. Perhaps you will get an answer there.

Second, I don't believe you'll succeed at what you're trying to do. Gold plating solutions are very specialized, and include additives that allow the gold to plate and provide an acceptable finish.

I wish you luck,
Dave

Most importantly before you consider the Nickle and gold plating.
What is the underlying alloy?
I am hoping for Stainless steel.
Anything other will be more technically deanding.
It's most Likely Brass. There is a seller in Germany who sells a ready-to-use Gold Plating solution. But the Watches are 20 Micron gold plated... I would hate to throw this away and Pay for new gold.

It's most Likely Brass. There is a seller in Germany who sells a ready-to-use Gold Plating solution. But the Watches are 20 Micron gold plated... I would hate to throw this away and Pay for new gold.
I am unaware of any method that will ensure the security of a brass component.
Anything other than mechanical removal will tend to proffer the brass more than the gold.

www.watchplating.com.

several companies do this type of work. if you can afford it send it to them.

There is also a guy in poland that does it also

i would think in Germany you might be able to find a small manufacturer that does plating and could do it for you.

Good luck.

There are no easy ways to do what you want to do, removing the gold chemically even using cyanide will remove the nickel plating and attach the brass and if the brass is already exposed it will heavily dissolve it in that spot, to re plate the case you will have to polish it and then nickel plate it before you even try to plate in gold , the color may well be too yellow if you make your own solution as the color is achieved by additives.
You could polish the watch to a smoother finish and then have it re plated and then polish again to produce a decent finish but that needs a good plating shop and an acid plating solution I believe.

Latest posts

Back