Is there an easy test to confirm silver?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshattuck

I was panning some material from an area of Clear Creek in Colorado and every pan had pieces of a grey metal that is easy to bend. I assume it is silver, as the areas upstream were famous for silver deposits. Is there an easy way to confirm whether or not these little pieces of metal are silver?

You can **BEND** little teensy pieces/flecks of metal...?

I believe I've read that most of the silver deposits in CO are heavy in Lead. Usually, mineralized silver is black, from sulfur, although there are rocks that appear light grey.

I am not an expert in this area, but I'd venture to say that there's no substitute for a real assay.

Bending suggests elemental metal rather than a metallic looking crystal mineral.

Make up some Schwerter's solution. Pink says silver, yellow says lead (or tin?) something in between says something in between. :)

- dissolve a flake in a few drops of nitric
- Add a drop of hydrochloric acid
A white precipitate indicates silver, lead (or mercury)

If the precipitate can be dissolved in a large excess of concentrated ammonia solution, it is silver chloride.

schwerters solution.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=984&bih=508&q=schwerters+solution&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&safe=active

Back