Is this thick gold plating?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What you describe sounds like cementing. If you do not use electricity it is not electro plating.
You cement the Gold to the Titanium since it is a less noble metal.
The bonding will not be very good.

Nickel Plating Copper Without Electricity or Activator Indirect plating with heat. A little different tho.
It is like ENIG, but what they have in common that it is actually a cementing (displacement) reaction.
It still needs pure reagents and the correct material to plate onto.
Gold bonds quite nice to Nickel.
That is how the Gold usually is bonded to the PCBs. If greater thickness is required then electro plating onto Nickel is usually how it is done.

Daniel,
I'm sure, it's not only me.
If I think, I understood what you're trying to do, you change your plans or you're talking about something totally different.

What do you want (your goal)?
How do you want to do it?

Maybe you better should ask BEFORE you change your plan.

And: If you like to plate something with copper then zinc and finally with gold, you can't alloy these three metals together into one anode.

It is possible to plate things passively like if you add copper chloride and H202 to stainless steel.

Metals can plate one after another like this, I could have taken this knife and plated nickel to the subtrate.

It is possible to plate things passively like if you add copper chloride and H202 to stainless steel.

Metals can plate one after another like this, I could have taken this knife and plated nickel to the subtrate.

There is no need for H2O2, and the passive plating you are talking about is basically cementing.
What it is not is Electroplating.
If you keep track of the electromotive series you can plate different plating onto each other.
But I doubt adhesion is strong.
Even when electroplating one often can pull the plated layer off the underlying metal if its not done correctly.

Commercial copper refineries use stainless steel to process copper. Almost exactly the same as that knife blade does. They even use robotics to peel the layer of copper off by slightly flexing the stainless sheet to start the peeling process. A small time copper refiner I spent much time talking to used razor knifes and flexed the stainless sheets by hand and peeled to copper after starting it with the razor knife. Plating can look a lot like cementing but in reality it has to be prepped for it to adhere properly or it just peels off over time. I have plated copper to many things trying to learn how to run copper cells, including stainless, iron, plastic and even flowers and leaves. It is way more complicated than just electricity and some copper in solution.

Back