leaching techniques

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Traveller11,
I do understand, I have been working placer gold for years, I have also worked sand beds, it has always been a hobby for me, I make and use some mining equipment, nothing on a large scale, shaker tables, blue bowls, spiral wheels, classifiers, and dredges, and various other equipment, if your working large volumes of sand, and do not wish to pan, there is equipment you can make or buy, most all of this equipment comes down to the point i have been trying to get across to you, but in my view you are wanting some magic leach that works to remove gold without pretreatments like concentrating roasting and so on, there are some leaches that are specific to gold, but even these you would need to treat the ore, when gravity is your friend here, yes you can try to leach, but if the gold is free from the ore, I would use gravity to get the gold concentrated, if not totally separated from the sand and other materials, once concentrated very well smelting would be an option, leaching would be my last option and only then from a very concentrated gold material, with pretreatment, the leach first would focus on base metals, and then the values.

Mining supply houses have the equipment you need, I personally would not go out and buy equipment before I got gold, I get the gold then I add to my tools, for instance I would not go out and buy some big new dredge, I first would work my pan, (in fact many of my first pans were not store bought, I learned to pan gold using a hub cap from a truck, and even today I sometimes use a hub cap to pan gold, I would get some gold then take that money and build me a sluice box use that to get more gold then work up to building my dredge built from scrap metal, an old lawn mower and a scrap pump, later I upgraded the dredges I built, I have several now and still have no need to go buy a new dredge, Yes I would love to have one of those big Keene dredges, and a air compressor, but unless It would pay for itself better than my homemade tools do, I will just keep the gold I have now, and not trade it for a shiny new dredge, that may not pay for itself.

I have my ideas, of how to recover gold, you have yours, I have tried to share my ideas with you, you do not seem to like the way I see this, you seem want to hear what you want to hear. I will not change my views just to say what you wish to hear.

I could most likely work the sand you have with screens, a drain pipes, and a pan, and a few hand tools, if the gold was there I could, scale up the equipment, either made or bought from the gold recovered.

You can run a lot of sand through long toms, and with miners moss and good riffles, and side boxes you can collect almost all of the gold that went into it.
If you set up the equipment right you could capture more fine gold than the old miners did when they used mercury coated copper plate’s, and some of the modern separators can separate the sand from the gold (no matter what size better than some of the best hand gold panner’s).

Gravel companies in my area, sell tons of the black sand they ship it to china, this black sand has the majority of the gold removed, but still contains considerable values, if you are working large beaches, with good values maybe you can mine them in a similar fashion, with large equipment, selling the lighter sand for cement, collecting some gold and ship tons of black sand to china, personally I hate to see our valuable raw materials go to china.

I see many miners in my area go out and buy High dollar equipment, you they do move more material and do get some gold, but it has not paid for their equipment, so in my mind they are gold in the whole, spending more gold than they have mined, I do not get as much gold, but my gold is all profit, my equipment is paid for, and now I can buy larger equipment if I wished.

If your stuck on the idea of leaching, I have never tried these but action mining sell some leaches, you could try them (they may or may not be something like sodium thiosulfate), I am not sure of the name but it seems to be CL6 or something like that, give the girl who works there a call she can help you better than I seem to be able to, she may have the equipment or the leach you need at a price you are willing to pay.

butcher said:
Traveller11,
I do understand, I have been working placer gold for years, I have also worked sand beds, it has always been a hobby for me, I make and use some mining equipment, nothing on a large scale, shaker tables, blue bowls, spiral wheels, classifiers, and dredges, and various other equipment, if your working large volumes of sand, and do not wish to pan, there is equipment you can make or buy, most all of this equipment comes down to the point i have been trying to get across to you, but in my view you are wanting some magic leach that works to remove gold without pretreatments like concentrating roasting and so on, there are some leaches that are specific to gold, but even these you would need to treat the ore, when gravity is your friend here, yes you can try to leach, but if the gold is free from the ore, I would use gravity to get the gold concentrated, if not totally separated from the sand and other materials, once concentrated very well smelting would be an option, leaching would be my last option and only then from a very concentrated gold material, with pretreatment, the leach first would focus on base metals, and then the values.

Mining supply houses have the equipment you need, I personally would not go out and buy equipment before I got gold, I get the gold then I add to my tools, for instance I would not go out and buy some big new dredge, I first would work my pan, (in fact many of my first pans were not store bought, I learned to pan gold using a hub cap from a truck, and even today I sometimes use a hub cap to pan gold, I would get some gold then take that money and build me a sluice box use that to get more gold then work up to building my dredge built from scrap metal, an old lawn mower and a scrap pump, later I upgraded the dredges I built, I have several now and still have no need to go buy a new dredge, Yes I would love to have one of those big Keene dredges, and a air compressor, but unless It would pay for itself better than my homemade tools do, I will just keep the gold I have now, and not trade it for a shiny new dredge, that may not pay for itself.

I have my ideas, of how to recover gold, you have yours, I have tried to share my ideas with you, you do not seem to like the way I see this, you seem want to hear what you want to hear. I will not change my views just to say what you wish to hear.

I could most likely work the sand you have with screens, a drain pipes, and a pan, and a few hand tools, if the gold was there I could, scale up the equipment, either made or bought from the gold recovered.

You can run a lot of sand through long toms, and with miners moss and good riffles, and side boxes you can collect almost all of the gold that went into it.
If you set up the equipment right you could capture more fine gold than the old miners did when they used mercury coated copper plate’s, and some of the modern separators can separate the sand from the gold (no matter what size better than some of the best hand gold panner’s).

Gravel companies in my area, sell tons of the black sand they ship it to china, this black sand has the majority of the gold removed, but still contains considerable values, if you are working large beaches, with good values maybe you can mine them in a similar fashion, with large equipment, selling the lighter sand for cement, collecting some gold and ship tons of black sand to china, personally I hate to see our valuable raw materials go to china.

I see many miners in my area go out and buy High dollar equipment, you they do move more material and do get some gold, but it has not paid for their equipment, so in my mind they are gold in the whole, spending more gold than they have mined, I do not get as much gold, but my gold is all profit, my equipment is paid for, and now I can buy larger equipment if I wished.

If your stuck on the idea of leaching, I have never tried these but action mining sell some leaches, you could try them (they may or may not be something like sodium thiosulfate), I am not sure of the name but it seems to be CL6 or something like that, give the girl who works there a call she can help you better than I seem to be able to, she may have the equipment or the leach you need at a price you are willing to pay.
butcher:
I think these exchanges of ideas enrich this forum.
Each post reflects, criteria, experience, knowledge and aspirations.
In the previous message, you must specify that the leaching is used to recover a golden type whose size can not be processed by gravimetric method and is not presented in washed material.

renatomerino,

You are correct, leaching of gold should be, or may be the only option to recover the values from some ore, where density separation is not an option, where the gold may be so fine or chemically combined in the ore that separation using gravity would not work.

I feel leaching would work best for Highly concentrated material, where the gold or precious metal has been separated from other material as much as possible, much also would depend on the source material, and if the leach can be done selectively, or the other metals or reactions with the ore (chemistry) will not interfere with the process, or would make it so expensive as to be unprofitable, much would also depend on the material or ore, and the pretreatments, and the leach solution chosen.

Leaching ore where you cannot separate the gold by density, the gold would still normally need pretreatment, and to be concentrated if possible (like in froth floatation of sulfide ore), usually the ore pretreated to improve leaching (like in roasting process and sometimes chemical are used in this process), and the leach is usually chosen for its selectivity or how it would act chemically with the ore, sometimes the leach can actually be a way to concentrate the values by leaching some other mineral or metals from the ore.

Placer gold is free gold, and can be separated by density, but to try and leach barrels of black sand for a few grains of gold does not make sense to me, if this is sands and it was gold and not pyrite, the sands can be classified and the gold separated using density and the proper tools and technique, at least this is my opinion as a hobby miner.

It makes sense Conducting leaching on micron gold particles as it is hard to collect them by gravity separation methods,if you have big quantity-low grade ore you better try heap leaching with Sodium cyanide(if it's permitted where you live),it could reach up to 85% recovery if conducted perfectly.if you got small quantity-high grade try CIP or CIL leaching (look for "agitation tanks leaching" on the web),you must also know that larger gold particles(+ 70 mesh)need much time to be totally leached,base metals consumes the cyanide,increasing the solution concentration can help.

I have a placer ore with micron gold in it that seems to defy any gravity method I attempt to use on it, although I have not tried a centrifuge on it, yet. I am interested in using the acid/clorox leach on it but, there is just enough iron, in the form of magnetite and hematite, to interfere with this leach.

Is there any way to remove the iron chemically? Or, outside of cyanide, is there a leach that will dissolve only the gold and not touch the iron?
If it is a gold ore leaching process line, an iron remover will be added after the ore is crushed, and this device can remove part of the iron.

Yes you can remove small amounts of iron, but to remove large amounts of black sand from a tiny amount of gold would cost in fuel, labor, chemicals and waste.

Smelting is also an option for concentrated gold with small amounts of black sand.

But the key word here is concentrating, basically separating the non gold materials and getting the gold materials as free from non gold as possible.

Miners usually can build what they need if they cannot afford to buy them, if you are handy you can build anything to may need to separate or to concentrate your gold.

Again if you’re not talking about a whole beach of sand a pan will work, if you are doing large quantity's then you will need to concentrate with other means.

You keep saying this gold is so fine you cannot pan it, are you sure it is not pyrite you’re seeing or trying to recover it is much lighter than the black sand and will float out easily, gold has a density much higher than the black sand and will stay in the pan when you pan out everything else, even minute pieces of gold weigh much more than the 2” and smaller rock, if fine gold try’s to float clean your pan, a drop or two of dish soap also helps.

This may give you some ideas:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...9.14.1.4.4.0.79.985.14.14.0...0.0.GF7-6bgO_YI
Chinese were very good at panning gold, in this area Chinese miners sent billions of dollars in gold back to china, just from re-working the tailings the white miners let pass through their process. And these miners were capturing the very fine gold, maybe you need some Chinese to teach you to pan, or you can hire a few to pan for you. :lol:
Dasenmining is a professional gold digger, please contact us if necessary

I have a placer ore with micron gold in it that seems to defy any gravity method I attempt to use on it, although I have not tried a centrifuge on it, yet. I am interested in using the acid/clorox leach on it but, there is just enough iron, in the form of magnetite and hematite, to interfere with this leach.

Is there any way to remove the iron chemically? Or, outside of cyanide, is there a leach that will dissolve only the gold and not touch the iron?
You can find us, professional gold ore heap leaching

I hope you have enough in quantity and ozs. per ton to package, get to a dock, pay freight to China, then hope you get paid for the effort. Setting up a cyanide plant in a back yard is a good way to get thrown in prison. Rules are much different in North America, then in China. As they tout in their advertising, "They are professional Gold Diggers", not miners. Big difference.

I read some posts which lightly touched on buying Cyanide, but no definitive answer as to wether there are max amounts purchasable, what the laws are regarding its use, permitting under certain size of operation, etc.. Anybody know more, with specifics? USA area.

After roasting properly, the iron is slow to be attacked by the leach. It's possible to leach the bulk of the micron gold before the iron builds enough in solution to start cementing it out again.
Longer roasting time and shorter leach times are critical to achieve this.

Cheers Wal

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back