Leaching With Eco-Goldex Question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their process uses urea and zinc strips - two chemicals I would rather avoid as unnecessary and troublesome.

From the MDS, one of the chemicals is a ferrocyanide complex.

They have a warning to make sure enough zinc is used that new zinc strips are no longer reactive. This is to ensure that there is no more reactant in the solution that could partly or completely redissolve the gold/silver/PGMs.

I find it interesting that there is no mention of stannous chloride or testing the solutions with it. Is it useless in a solution containing a cyanide complex?
Yes, Stannous needs an acidic environment.

I find it interesting that there is no mention of stannous chloride or testing the solutions with it. Is it useless in a solution containing a cyanide complex?

There are two reasons why you don't want to use stannous chloride on a cyanide solution

1) As Yaggdrasil pointed out stannous chloride only works on acidic solutions NOT on basic (Ph) solution --- Cyanide solutions are basic in Ph (around 10 -11 Ph)

2) stannous chloride it self is acidic & you NEVER want to mix acid with cyanide - acid plus cyanide is what makes hydrogen cyanide gas (HCN) & HCN is the gas that KILLS you

Therefore - because accidents can & DO happen in the lab you should NEVER have acids in the same work space where you are working with cyanide --- this includes the Eco-goldex product which in fact is cyanide

Kurt

From ChatGPT Ai .......

QUESTION ..... Do you know anything about the Eco-Goldex Gold leaching product?

ANSWER: ..... As of my last knowledge update in January 2022, Eco-Goldex is a company that provides eco-friendly gold leaching reagents for the mining industry. Their products are designed to be more environmentally friendly and sustainable compared to traditional cyanide-based gold leaching processes. Please note that information about specific products or companies may have changed since my last update.

Eco-Goldex's gold leaching products are known for using alternative reagents to cyanide, aiming to reduce the environmental impact of gold extraction. Commonly, they employ thiosulfate-based reagents as an alternative to cyanide. Thiosulfate is considered less toxic than cyanide, and its use in gold leaching has been a subject of research and development as a more environmentally benign approach.

The specific formulations and features of Eco-Goldex products may vary, and the company may offer different solutions for various stages of the gold leaching process. It's essential to refer to the latest information provided by Eco-Goldex directly or consult their documentation for the most accurate and up-to-date details on their products.

If you are considering the use of Eco-Goldex products or any alternative gold leaching technologies, it's recommended to consult with experts in the field, conduct thorough testing, and ensure that the chosen methods align with regulatory requirements and safety standards in the mining industry. Additionally, the adoption of alternative technologies may be influenced by factors such as ore characteristics, project economics, and local environmental regulations.

I'm very novice in regards to precious metals extraction using leaching ... only a little more than maybe a few hours of research on the topic ... but one of the key issues/concerns i see is in regards to disposal of the treated black sand .....

my study so far indicates you have to do a thorough job of washing/rinsing all the black sand to remove "all" the pregnant solution from the sand ... but, after the washing/rinsing stage; what are the black sands classified as? ... if 99.99% of the solution is washed out of the sands, and then the sands are layed out to dry in the sunlight for days - what are the sands classified as from an enviro point of view? ... any insights at all appreciated ..... is there a standard procedure for disposing leached computer scrap? - as i haven't come across much intel about it yet.

Do you think the Eco-Goldex system is environmentally friendly enough for the washed/rinsed post-process black sand to be considered non-hazardous?
Your original post asks 2 different questions, black sands, and then computer scrap. 2 totally different equations. For black sands, I hate to say, you may be better off going to the old Mercury use. A lot less problems in the long run, and if instructions are followed properly, a lot less haz- mat. Computer scrap will yield a whole host of dissolved metals, due to the dissolution properties of Cyanide based leaches. Hence, the problems of stripping the solution for PM's only. A lot more chemistry involved.

Back