Longivty of the first solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikesmadness

I have followed Steve's formula to the n'th degree. What does the Glycerin do? I have deplated 8 lbs of gold plated flatware. At what point should I continue the process? How long can I wait before continuing to the next logical step>

no need for the glycerine. you can move to refining at any time after you reclaim the gold, but most people will wait for a large enough batch to make it worth the effort. its the same process that takes the same amount of time if you are refining a few grams or a few ounces.

micronationcreation said:
What does the Glycerin do?
good question, anyone?

Nothing that I know of. The original patent didn't use it. I've used that stripper since the early 70s and have never used glycerin in it. I think that several years ago a guy was selling plans for the sulfuric stripper on eBay and he was the one that said to use it. In the first few months of the forum, people were using it, mainly because of the guy on eBay, I think. When I arrived, I questioned it's use and, since then, few use it. We've discussed it quite a few times and no one has ever been able to explain it's function. Whatever, it's certainly not a necessity.

mikesmadness said:
I have followed Steve's formula to the n'th degree. What does the Glycerin do? I have deplated 8 lbs of gold plated flatware. At what point should I continue the process? How long can I wait before continuing to the next logical step>

When used properly, without allowing the temperature to exceed about 110F, the current will go to very near zero when the gold is completely stripped and that's when you know to remove the parts. As you know, the gold forms a black sludge in the solution. At some point, after running a number of batches, there will be so much sludge floating around in the solution that this will create a partial short and the current will NOT go to zero when the parts have completely stripped. At that point, you know it's time to stop stripping and harvest the gold. Of course, you don't have to wait until that happens. You can harvest the gold anytime before that.

Latest posts

Back