Magnesium Chloride, Any good uses other than de-icer?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott2357

Found local source for Magnesium Chloride in 50lb bags for $18. I looked up uses on the internet and didn't see anything that jumped out at me.

I thought some chemists here could suggest some more useful applications??

Unfortunaltey it does not.Although It would work well if you wanted to lose some weight fast.Or if mixed with what I have (magnesium oxide) you can make a very hard grindstones.

Here in Colorado, the road and bridge departments use an aqueous solution of mag chloride to suppress dust on gravel/dirt roads.

Magnesium Chloride is also used on Clay Tennis Courts to retain moisture and also help reduce growth of algae. Calcium Chloride is also used, but it tends to be a harsher to work with. I know if you just goggle Mag Chloride or Cal Chloride it doesnt say that they are used on tennis court. This mostly due to the invent of sub-irrgated clay courts, which doesnt need help to keep moist. Goto Leetennis.com or HarTru.com to find out more.

It can be neutralized with hydroxide to produce magnesium oxide. Used in ceramics, it is a very good refractory. For someone handy enough, could make some high temp furnaces or foundries.

Latest posts

Back