Magnetic pins

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worker0

Heloo everyone.

I lagre ammount of this pins. 90% of them is magnetic.
In lack of nitric in this situation, I take advice ( advice to proccess them in CuCl2 ) and put them only in 10% HCL, about 0.5 L. After adding solution was milky white color and after putting on sunlight it changes to one shade of purple/pink color. I made stannous chloride by adding soldering wire in HCL. Take drops of booth liquid and 1 test was positive ( black ) and 6 negative. After finishing testing i dropped stick which I used to take samples from pins jar into stannous and it turned yellow. After adding adittional 0.5 L HCL and 50 mL of H2O2 solution get deep orange color, few minutes after that color changed to yellow/gold and then to transparent, after it cleared back to transparent I added 10 drops of h202 and ti again gets orange color which cleared out in 5 6 minutes to yellow again then transparent. What is going on?

Do you have any suggestions or advices? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20200422_231454.jpg
    20200422_231454.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 175
  • 20200422_235122.jpg
    20200422_235122.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 175
  • 20200423_003843.jpg
    20200423_003843.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 175
  • 20200429_153340.jpg
    20200429_153340.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 166
I cannot say form here.

It sounds like you are using too much H2O2.

The with the acids and oxidizers in solution the more reactive metals will try to go into solution first, although the less reactive metals will also be dissolving into solution, the less reactive metals will begin to be displaced from solution as the base metals dissolve and replace them in solution, basically, there is a lot of chemistry going on in solution at once...

From the looks of the picture you do not have a solution of cupric chloride or ferric chloride which is what you are trying to use to dissolve metals, but a solution of many metals and acids and oxidizers reacting with the metals and its alloys in solution...

Too high of oxidizer can even be putting the gold in solution along with the tin forming the troublesome colloidal gold...

worker0,
I feel you are making things much more difficult for yourself by not spending more time in research before you jump in to do the work, or in gaining an understanding of how the process works, or how to use it properly, being impatient and jumping in to try things you do not fully understand yet, it is just making it more difficult for yourself to learn, and thus you just spend much more of your time trying to learn from the failures and of how to clean up messes, than of learning how to recover and refine precious metals...

worker0,

Have you studied how the CuCl2 cupric chloride leaching or etching process works?

Can you give me a brief description of what you understand about it, and how it dissolves metals?

What purpose does the H2O2 have in the process and why it is used...

The better I can understand what you understand, the better I may be able to possibly help with your questions.

Latest posts

Back