making high purity Tin for stannous chloride

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duke1025

Making high purity TIN.
hi, i'm new here... my first post...
had no Tin, could not get any around me, so i opted for solder.. but worked on how to purify it.

I used "electrolysis" cut up solder in small pieces that says "lead free" and sometimes "silver solder lead free" (it's plumbing solder), these solders contain around 90%+ tin, <10% copper or other, and less then <2% silver.

solution: HCI in a beaker half full, and put the solder pieces into the beaker less then half full, then put that on low heat outside on a portable stove (S.S. pan filled half w/ sand).. repeat low heat... beaker has glass plate on top...(slowly-very little bubbles) let it bubble and slowly disintegrate the solder, once in awhile mix things around gently (glass rod)... over 12-14 hours or so... until it is all muck or sludge... remove the HCI liquid containing the tin (filter liquid) to prepare for the electrolysis, get rid of the rest (sludge solids)...

electrolysis: i made 2 small electrodes from stainless steel (bent on top for beaker), they reach half way down the beaker... and connected 3-9vdc to it...less then 1 amp (you want slow -more pure crystals). pour in HCI-tin mix into beaker... use a magnifier....right away you will see pure tin crystals growing, but you have to keep an eye on it or the crystals will form a short connection (adjust electrode space as required)... (when there is a large amount of tin on the electrode) remove the negative anode with the crystals, and scrap them off with another stainless steel piece into a separate beaker or container... then put the electrode back into solution and repeat until you have as much tin as you require. this is high purity tin. good luck!

P.S. i believe that higher purity tests will lead to better tests and higher accuracy. perhaps even less denigration over time since most stannous chloride seems to do. time will tell how this experiment goes.

Stannous is a quick test to see if you have gold in a solution. It is very accurate and works well when made from most any form of tin. I use fishing sinkers when I can find them and average 6 months for a shelf life. I add HCl to a small amount of water, add tin sinkers, loosely cap with enough looseness to allow gas to escape. Run hot water over the bottle until the tin starts to bubble and in a few minutes it is ready to use. I do the same when whether using sinkers, solder or even pewter.

Lou uses a more accurate method than I do and would give it a try if I need larger amounts or longer shelf life.

https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=22989&p=241222&hilit=heptane#p241222

Don't bother making high purity tin, it's just a waste of time and chemicals. Use the solder as it is. If it contains flux just melt it first to get rid of it.

I've maid stannous out of old circuit boards and it worked.

Göran

Shark said:
Stannous is a quick test to see if you have gold in a solution. It is very accurate and works well when made from most any form of tin. I use fishing sinkers when I can find them and average 6 months for a shelf life. I add HCl to a small amount of water, add tin sinkers, loosely cap with enough looseness to allow gas to escape. Run hot water over the bottle until the tin starts to bubble and in a few minutes it is ready to use. I do the same when whether using sinkers, solder or even pewter.

Lou uses a more accurate method than I do and would give it a try if I need larger amounts or longer shelf life.

https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=22989&p=241222&hilit=heptane#p241222

Thank you for sharing! didn't think about sinkers and a little heat for the reaction...

g_axelsson said:
Don't bother making high purity tin, it's just a waste of time and chemicals. Use the solder as it is. If it contains flux just melt it first to get rid of it.

Göran
Thanks! i'll try melting solder to remove flux, should also remove some other impurity's as well...

g_axelsson said:

Göran

I reseached your old posts but I can't find any recipe for stannous chloride. you have a lot of posts :) Do you have any recipe or else just we collect old solder and apply the stannous chloride process.

I usually just take a piece of tin, put it in a beaker with a bit of HCl and let it react. If the tin is all dissolved I just add more. There isn't a lot that can go wrong here.

Test with a known gold solution so you know it is working. Store it with a bit of tin at the bottom, but beware that if there is a lot of HCl left it will build up pressure as the tin is slowly dissolving. I had a dropper flask blow it's rubber bulb once. :mrgreen:
Only pour it into a bottle if there isn't any more reaction going on.

Over time air will come in and oxidize the tin and it will form a light gray precipitate and stop working, so if you don't get a reaction from a solution you better test that it still works. Daily tests is usually ok.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
I usually just take a piece of tin, put it in a beaker with a bit of HCl and let it react. If the tin is all dissolved I just add more. There isn't a lot that can go wrong here.

Test with a known gold solution so you know it is working. Store it with a bit of tin at the bottom, but beware that if there is a lot of HCl left it will build up pressure as the tin is slowly dissolving. I had a dropper flask blow it's rubber bulb once. :mrgreen:

Over time air will come in and oxidize the tin and it will form a light gray precipitate and stop working, so if you don't get a reaction from a solution you better test that it still works. Daily tests is usually ok.

Göran

I thought so, hydrogen gas make pressure when dissolve, after in a while oxidation make convert the SnCl2 then effect gone. I will apply your recipe then I will show here if I can do .

Thank you
Stay safe & healthy,

4C90B325-F4E6-40DF-A958-F730468A8557.jpeg
CC3BE686-183A-4060-802A-E3494E23AC58.jpeg
69AE2E53-54E1-4261-BF41-7BA9934378DC.jpeg
3F00EF11-51CF-4C68-8733-90C79E727BD0.jpeg

I made your stannous chloride recipe.
First trial : part of paper photo show a ar solution situation from chip.
Second trial just for see what happen: Before ar I made nitric acid treatment. When I drop on, it changed lmmediately. So my nitric inlude palladium or is this iron:) I also suspected maybe my gold dissolve when nitric treatment. Because I used AP before nitric. After AP I dried for removing Ap. I also try nitric solution with copperas. It showed no color changing.

g_axelsson said:

Göran

Hi Göran

What do you think my result?

Back