Making Nitric Acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banjags

Is this correct.

The receipe I found says to combine 1 quart of battery acid or drain open with. 1/2 cup of sodium nitrate dissolved in 16 ounces of distilled water.

Could a person dissolve the sodium nitrate in less water to make the solution strong without have to heat for long periods of time?

What is the strongest/Best drain opener to use for this application or for use in a cell?

Here in Quebec city, I'm buying the brand «EverClear» drain opener.
I don't know if you have this brand in Manitoba but you can concentrate your sulfuric acid by boiling down the water in it.

Once again thanks Lazersteve. So with your recipe could I make more by doubling or tripling the batch? Would that still be safe? What kinda gases are given off with this method? Sodium nitrate is fertilizer right that I could get at home depot or rona?

Well if you find Sodium Nitrate to Home Depot or Rona, please let me know ! Because I haven't find any yet...

Check for names like Nitre of Soda. I know I find that at any small hardware or plant nursery. Now would be a good time to find fresh for the upcoming growing season.

Good time ? I'm not sure, we got -30°C today :D and we still have many winter months to come. :lol:

We can start buying growing stuff near May. But that's here in Quebec...

You can use potassium nitrate - spectracide stump remover - that is what I got.

Jim

I just went to a chemical supply house and bought 6) 7 lbs bottles of 70% for $35.00 a bottle and dont have to mess with making stuff so I can concentrate on refining - I still have 30lbs of reagent SN and 5 gallons on SA if I find time to make some nitric. Is it hard for you guys to buy tech grade chems?

Yes I am... I'm already planning to open a business, but now that I'm 18, I do not need a parental authorization anymore :D

Latest posts

Back