Melting down 24k gold flakes

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mo2323

Ok so i inherited a bunch of gold from a passed family member and one of the pieces is a vial of 24k gold flakes from the US mint. I want to know how to melt down the flakes into a nugget form. If anyone knows how to do this please help me out .Thank you for your time :?:

Do you have a certificate of authenticity? If so why melt the flakes down? You would lose money that way (not that it is much we are talking about anyway, but still). If you don't have a certificate than how do you know it is 24k? Anyway melting gold is easy if you have the proper equipment. Just put your gold in a clean pre-glazed crucible and fire up the torch making sure you have a neutral flame maybe adding a pinch of borax flux. Be careful not to blow the gold out of the crucible with the flame. After it is all melted then let it cool a bit and pluck the bead out of the crucible with tweezers and put it in some cold water.

Latest posts

Back