Melting my refined gold.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny987

So i have been studying up on refining with AR, But i have reached a road block. So as far as i understand when you are done with the refining process you should end up with a fine powder of gold. My question is how should i melt it? I can't afford a 1000+ furnace (for now). So could i just put the powder in the crucible and aim a torch at it until it melts? Or would it blow away? Any other low cost methods?

Find somebody in town with a torch. I melt mine at a bike shop with a welding torch. I have an oxy-Mapp torch but the price of oxygen is outrageous. A propane blowtorch isn't hot enough and yes, you can blow the gold away if you're not careful.

Rag and Bone said:
Find somebody in town with a torch. I melt mine at a bike shop with a welding torch. I have an oxy-Mapp torch but the price of oxygen is outrageous. A propane blowtorch isn't hot enough and yes, you can blow the gold away if you're not careful.

So can i just store the powder in a container until i get a hold of a torch?

Rag,
I must disagree with you, propane does melt gold.

But you need a lot of patience and good insulation around your melting dish...

I melt my gold by putting my cruciable in a oven at 500 deg for ten mins and the just hit it with a mapp torch w/no oxy and it melts in seconds hmmmmmm

There is a member who has video's on how to do various proceses. You can watch the gold melt with a torch on line. When you look at the various posts his have a GIF file of gold being melted with a torch. I can remember his name right now.

Latest posts

Back