Metal detecting suggestions

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devildog

Hello all,
I plan to make a trip down to the beach to see some of my old buddies from the Corps.
I am thinking about hitting the beach and metal detecting for some jewelry I hope. What's a good metal detector and I don't mean an expensive one, as my wallet is a little empty right now.
I appreciate any suggestions...
CHEERS!!

I like the Goldbug 2 detector. I have found large and small Au nuggets, as well as much more trash like foil wrappers, nails, bottle caps, and the myriad of anything metallic. Reasonably priced for a good detector, around $800. I have found Au when other detectors didn't find anything, but I would chalk it up to operator error, rather then the detector itself. The GB2 is easy to dial in for ground balancing, and the other adjustments, which is why I bought it in the first place. Just be ready to dig a lot of trash, as all detectors will find anything metallic, not just precious metals.

I don't even remember the brand of the underwater metal detector I had about 30 years back but I do remember a trick that yielded a good amount of jewelry.

My dive buddy and I had both a metal detector and a suction dredge and someone, I forget who, told me that all the summer bathing beauties all slathered up in suntan oil, often lost their jewelry in the surf.

Given enough time, the surf picks up and drops both the jewelry and the sand with every wave, and eventually deposits them in a line along the beach. And it's pretty consistent as the dense jewelry drops first and makes the line.

So when the summer crowds, and the police, left after labor day, we could go out play in the surf. Using the metal detector one of us moved back and forth from the beach into the ocean in the surf zone. Once we had a hit on the detector, we brought the dredge which followed along. When we determined where the line of hits was it became easy.

The dense gold lined up parallel to the beach and you could snorkel along with the metal detector and when a hit sounded, dig at the spot with the dredge until the hit want away. We continued along the beach this way collecting everyones misfortunes.

We usually got over an ounce each outing and on one trip to a north shore beach got close to 3 ounces. Must have been the rich folks watering hole. At this one site there was a piece with a nice diamond which my buddy wanted because he and his lady were serious. So he got the stone, and the girl. He still has both so I guess it was a good thing.

In high school, back in the 70's, I bought a Radio Shack detector for $14.99. If they were still available I would have another one. Since they stopped making those in the late 70's I bought the last model Radio Shack made before closing up shop. It still works well, but I prefer the old "dig what you get" model. You don't miss anything when you dig up every thing detected.

If you’re going to a saltwater beach, some of the really cheap detectors will have problems with the mineralization from the salt. I personally prefer Nokta detectors, but any multiple frequency unit will work.

Check the area that you’re going to. There may be a dealer that rents units. Much cheaper than buying if you don’t use it regularly.

As stated by the replies, there are a number of detectors available for just about any purpose. Under water, large coils, small coils,PI, various frequency, and a host of other options. My suggestion is for you to find what you want to do, then research manufacturers, look what they have available, and what their prices are. After you decide, look on an eBay type site for a used one.

I planted gold, silver, and platinum in my yard and ran the detector over them to see what good signals are. Still planted 30 years later. The signals changed a bit over time. You also need to check the laws on detecting where you're going.
edit to add caveat

I don't even remember the brand of the underwater metal detector I had about 30 years back but I do remember a trick that yielded a good amount of jewelry.

My dive buddy and I had both a metal detector and a suction dredge and someone, I forget who, told me that all the summer bathing beauties all slathered up in suntan oil, often lost their jewelry in the surf.

Given enough time, the surf picks up and drops both the jewelry and the sand with every wave, and eventually deposits them in a line along the beach. And it's pretty consistent as the dense jewelry drops first and makes the line.

So when the summer crowds, and the police, left after labor day, we could go out play in the surf. Using the metal detector one of us moved back and forth from the beach into the ocean in the surf zone. Once we had a hit on the detector, we brought the dredge which followed along. When we determined where the line of hits was it became easy.

The dense gold lined up parallel to the beach and you could snorkel along with the metal detector and when a hit sounded, dig at the spot with the dredge until the hit want away. We continued along the beach this way collecting everyones misfortunes.

We usually got over an ounce each outing and on one trip to a north shore beach got close to 3 ounces. Must have been the rich folks watering hole. At this one site there was a piece with a nice diamond which my buddy wanted because he and his lady were serious. So he got the stone, and the girl. He still has both so I guess it was a good thing.
That is amazing! Good on him. That is one heck of a detecting adventure. 3 ounces by god! I could only wish.
A fella below here mentioned I need to find out if the beach is screened yearly if so it's pointless. So I have to find that out first then make a decision. I heard the Garret Ace 250 and 300 will find gold jewelry, but have yet to watch a video for info on it.
Work has been keeping me busy.
Thank you for all the information and what a set up to have. That is awesome.
CHEERS!!

I planted gold, silver, and platinum in my yard and ran the detector over them to see what good signals are. Still planted 30 years later. The signals changed a bit over time. You also need to check the laws on detecting where you're going.
edit to add caveat
That's awesome news. I have been looking at the Garret Ace 250 and the the 300. Due to low budget. I hear they're good at it for the price.
I did have a glance and don't see any law against it at this beach.

As stated by the replies, there are a number of detectors available for just about any purpose. Under water, large coils, small coils,PI, various frequency, and a host of other options. My suggestion is for you to find what you want to do, then research manufacturers, look what they have available, and what their prices are. After you decide, look on an eBay type site for a used one.
Goldshark,
Thank you so much for the reply.

If you’re going to a saltwater beach, some of the really cheap detectors will have problems with the mineralization from the salt. I personally prefer Nokta detectors, but any multiple frequency unit will work.

Check the area that you’re going to. There may be a dealer that rents units. Much cheaper than buying if you don’t use it regularly.
Thank you so much for the education and tips my friend.

In high school, back in the 70's, I bought a Radio Shack detector for $14.99. If they were still available I would have another one. Since they stopped making those in the late 70's I bought the last model Radio Shack made before closing up shop. It still works well, but I prefer the old "dig what you get" model. You don't miss anything when you dig up every thing detected.
Agreed. Thank you Shark as always my friend. I am appreciative.

My only suggestion is that you get a unit with both coil and control box waterproof, not just weather proof. Salt water rakes havoc on electronics, need I say. Minelab has some for not much more that are completely waterproof. Your investment won't die on your first outing at the beach. Anyway, have a great time!

My neighbor has a health issue that causes him serious issues with heat. This makes him do all his detecting in the winter, and he only detects old swimming holes. I don't recall the name on his detector but I do know it is completely submersible. Seeing some of the stuff he has found, it appears he knows what he is doing. If I was looking for a new one, the coil at least would be water proof, but the entire system would be even better.

My only suggestion is that you get a unit with both coil and control box waterproof, not just weather proof. Salt water rakes havoc on electronics, need I say. Minelab has some for not much more that are completely waterproof. Your investment won't die on your first outing at the beach. Anyway, have a great time!
Thank you so much my friend. I am really excited!
CHEERS

Latest posts

Back