Metal detector??

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socorban

Anyone in here ever treasure hunt witha metal detector before? I live in a mineral rich area of PA, surrounded by very old coal mining, and other mining towns. I realize diamonds are a possibility up here on a small scale. But from what ive read about gold prospecting, this area has great potential near the very old river banks and streams coming from and out of the mineral rich mountains.

Not to mention the fact that i live in a old region which could be loaded with goodies of all kinds in the paths and mountain areas near the mines or anywere.

Obviously not a job, but i like profitable hobbies that make money, not consume it, any one ever deal with detectors before? Worth the small investment? Any good brands?

I have a metal detector and am in Pennsylvania also. The problem with it is a lot of places are off limits now and it is harder to get permission.
The park system in Philly you have to get a permit, and stay out of Fairmount Park. Up here in Montgomery County they told me that disturbing the turf in the parks is a $250 fine.
It is a great way to find gold and platinum as well as possibly rare coins.
The best spots for jewelry are swimming spots and the beach, some people can make a living off of it. I have seen posts on a MDing forum of a guy that had pounds of gold. Imagine how many times you would have to run a cell getting the plating off to amount to that.
I plan on hunting alot more this year and hope to find alot of gold, the key is to do your homework and research areas that you think will payoff.
There are also websites that tell you about gold in Pennsylvania, it is mostly around Lancaster County. If I was closer to the areas I would probably go check it out just for fun.
Jim Doc

In the past six years or so I have had 3 detectors.

Tesoro Umax
Minelab Excalibur
Whites Surfmaster

Some cool beaches to hunt here----the winter is best after storms.

Like any other hobby it takes time sometimes to start finding goodies. If you are expecting to walk outside and start find ing gold and platinum with diamonds------welll---all I can say is you'll probably want to dowse your detector in gas and never see it again.

If you take your time to learn your machine and your area you won't be disappointed.

There is a great site for detectors and those with the passion. A chat room is always open. djsdetecors is operated by a guy named Doug. You can ask all the questions you want in the chat room and Doug is a straight up man. You can also look through the photos of things people find.

Happy hunting.

I've always wanted to know how to do it. I think I for one could benefit greatly from advice on this subject by the experts that may frequent the forum.

This is exactly what a good community is all about!

Steve

I like this forum; http://www.findmall.com
It has forums for every type metal detetor,
bottle hunting,modifications,etc....
I have a Minelab and a Garrett right now,
but have had others in the past. Also I have
a Periscope which is a very cool device that
is no longer made, you can check it out here;
http://www.downscope.com/field.htm
I plan on getting a waterproof detector also,
because alot of jewelry is found out in the surf
or swimming areas. That forum is where I saw the
picture of the lbs of gold the one guy found, if
I find it again I will give you guys a link to it.

Right now I have a Garrett GTI 2500. It works great as a coinshooter, relic hunting and even prospecting. I have found a vein, but the rock it just too much for a hand pick to work with.

The beat are I work is useless for metal detecting. A pre-Revolutionary war munisions foundry was on this site. The black sands are almost pure powdered pigiron. The gold is there, but mostly fines(alot) some pickers and nuggets.

If you are going to be a metal detecting TH'er, check out local shops and find out the limitations of each detector. Most shop owners Know, and will steer you towards one make or another based on your experience and what you want to do.
For example, that property that has all the powdered iron, I would not use anything less than a Pulse Induction detector.(Check out makers websites for an explanation) This is because the iron would rate as mineralization, which PI detectors handle the best.

Even then, take some time to go to treasure hunting sites to get information about brands and specific models. It'll save you a headache later. And as was said before, take the time to learn your particular machine. It makes all the diffrence in the world.

Chuck

I wasnt hoping to find gold and diamond up here but i know diamonds come from coal and i live in a mining area full of coal minds and natural springs and underground rivers. Oh yea, prime spots. However, im not far from lancaster either i'll ahve to look into that area. I wasnt planning on making a life of it but i like hobbies that pay off. I go to the beaches laot over the summer so i may just have to get one and mess around with it i guess.

socorban

I have been putting some notes together for detecting the beaches and or lakes. Not just detecting but finding items 'Without a Detector" thats right, it is possible to make some good finds just using a little history and knowledge.

I'm trying to condense it all so it won't be a long and boring read.

I'll give you a heads up when I'm ready to post. Probably sometime Sunday or Monday.

Lost Treasure magazines prize this month is a
Minelab SD2200v2 Gold Detector. (it is probably
about $2500 or more)
You can enter online once a day. If I don't win it
it would be cool if somebody from here wins it.
Good Luck

http://www.losttreasure.com/winprizes/

Anyone thinking about a metal detector should check this site:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/
I've had lots of fun with my metal detectors.

20 years ago and it still works.

5 KHZ BFO. The lower the frequency, the better the penetration. I used to have fun going to the beach and following people with commercial detectors and digging up items they missed.

Around here, the native Gold is too fine to discriminate.

It also worked well finding quartz and other crystals since they react the opposite of metal.

I wouldn't quit my day job, though.

Hi last year my friend surgested a trip to western australia to do a bit of metal detecting normaly i pan for gold
hmm i thought ive never had a detector befor and a trip to the other side of the world sounds like an adventure of a life time
so i bit the bullet and bought the best i could afford and that was a minlab GPX 4000 detector and off we went
well after about a month of listening to weird sounds i finaly got my first bit a 0.6gm nug that was it i was hooked and after another month i had found 4 yes 4 ounces of gold the bigest was an ounce nug cool or what
so this year im heading back to auz for 6 months prospecting out in the bush and hope to come home with a good few ounces to say the least
so if you have never had a detector its never too late to try and once you know the sound you never forget it
during the winter i did a bit of beach detecting and wow its like walking into a bank where they give money away and as for rings and other jewelry its a sweet shop of goodies

Here is a link to some metal detector schematics;
http://www3.telus.net/chemelec/Projects/Projects.htm
They are in the middle of the page. Jim

Here is a link to a metal detecting forum story,
talk about luck;
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,145244.0.html

Back