Microscope graduated slides for assay prills

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
47,500 seems really really steep for a run of the mill analytical balance. That is more the cost for measuring 0.001 milligrams. I have one of those too, but it only has a 1 gr capacity and me walking around the room ruins the reading for minutes.

I would recommend buying a like new Mettler or Sartorius on eBay and buying a good set of Troemner calibration weights. Probably in it for a few thousand USD.

Quote was from Sartorius. Inflation is hitting harder then you know. ! gr.(grain), or 1 gm. (gram) capacity on yours? Sell me yours for a couple thou.? Still shopping. An ounce per ton = .001 gm. per assay ton. To get accuracy on this quantity would require a scale to read .00001, of a gram, to at least get to the 10th of an ounce accuracy, based on a 1 assay ton firing. All scale manufactures recommend decoupling from any vibration, so I hear you on that. Still aiming for the micrometer and conversion tables. Maybe go to a 10 assay ton firing , if an accurate scale can't be found for the right price.

if an accurate scale can't be found for the right price.
goldshark - Action Mining has what is called an "optical comparator" that they sell that is made for measuring (instead of weighing) assay beads --- two different ones - one is priced at $104 and the other is priced at $55

At least those are the prices in the catalogue I have which is like 10-12 years old

They also have analytical scales/balances that weigh to 0.0001 for $2,000 to $3,000 (prices 10-12 years ago

Kurt

As I said earlier, I saw a contraption that is easy to replicate.
I do not remember whare I saw it but it looks more or less like this:
Two wooden or plastic rulers attached to a plate and set up so you slide the prill down until it stops.
You will then have its diameter and this can be marked as volume or what ever makes your day.
1674318150137.png

Thank you both. Yggdrasil, your apparatus, I can see the value in. I still think a digital micrometer is a better option, being easier to read the LED readout, down to .001 millimeter, for $20.00 or so ( I already have one ). Kurt, I will look into the optical comparator. It sounds like what I was looking for, from the get go.

Thank you both. Yggdrasil, your apparatus, I can see the value in. I still think a digital micrometer is a better option, being easier to read the LED readout, down to .001 millimeter, for $20.00 or so ( I already have one ). Kurt, I will look into the optical comparator. It sounds like what I was looking for, from the get go.
It is not mine, just something I saw somewhere.

Quote was from Sartorius. Inflation is hitting harder than you know. ! gr.(grain), or 1 gm. (gram) capacity on yours? Sell me yours for a couple thou.? Still shopping. An ounce per ton = .001 gm. per assay ton. To get accuracy on this quantity would require a scale to read .00001, of a gram, to at least get to the 10th of an ounce accuracy, based on a 1 assay ton firing. All scale manufactures recommend decoupling from any vibration, so I hear you on that. Still aiming for the micrometer and conversion tables. Maybe go to a 10 assay ton firing , if an accurate scale can't be found for the right price.
I meant grams but didn’t finish or see it. I’m any case, we are both wrong, it’s g if we are abbreviating.

Sure! I’d love to get a new one and upgrade. Happy to sell, send me a PM and it’s a done deal.

Back