Mistake on refining gold powder with AR

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perseus832

Hi,
Just looking for advice on a mistake I made refining few grams of gold powder.
I had some gold powder in some coffee filter paper. Put this in a round flask connected with hosing to 3 gas washing bottle with the last one filled with sodium hydroxide and water to scrub the fumes of aqua regia.
I added the hydrochloric acid and then add small amount of nitric acid and heated it till I saw fumes coming over.
I wanted to turn it off after a while, so I did. I don’t think the gold was doing reacting. Some of the lye water got sucked back into the other bottles. I left it to cool down.
I ended up opening up one of the gas washing bottles and the Lye water got sucked into the the aqua regia and gold.
I left it and so now two days later, the mix is yellow colored.
I filtered the mix and rinsed the filtered with more distilled water.

So now I think I have a yellow liquid which may be gold hydroxide. Not Sure if there is any nitric acid that reacted with the lye.
So now my question is, how to can I turn back the gold as a chloride or precipitate it as a hydroxide since it’s all dissolved in the water?

Thank you.

Basically you have salts of sodium chloride and salts of sodium nitrate and your gold in solution.
HCl + NaOH --> NaCl + H2O
HNO3 + NaOH --> NaNO3 + H2O

Adding acid or the hydronium ions (HCl, H2SO4...) would put you back to where you were, with having active aqua regia and gold in solution (beside the excess sodium metal ions now added to the solution)...

butcher said:
Basically you have salts of sodium chloride and salts of sodium nitrate and your gold in solution.
HCl + NaOH --> NaCl + H2O
HNO3 + NaOH --> NaNO3 + H2O

Adding acid or the hydronium ions (HCl, H2SO4...) would put you back to where you were, with having active aqua regia and gold in solution (beside the excess sodium metal ions now added to the solution)...

Hi.
So if I were to add hydrochloric acid, what exactly what it do? How would I precipitate the gold out as powder? Using SMB?
I’ve been working on this gold for a while so I’m just trying not to lose it.

If the added hydrochloric acid would turn it back to a gold chloride solution, would using SMB precipitate pure gold powder and leave the rest in solution?

Thanks

Yes, but you still may need to de-NOx the solution before a stannous test will work or you can precipitate the gold using a reducing agent like SMB, as any nitrates in solution will also be converted back into free nitric in solution when the solution is acidified again...

Adding acid will just put you back to where you were before (besides a little extra sodium metal ions that were added by mistake).

butcher said:
Yes, but you still may need to de-NOx the solution before a stannous test will work or you can precipitate the gold using a reducing agent like SMB, as any nitrates in solution will also be converted back into free nitric in solution when the solution is acidified again...

Adding acid will just put you back to where you were before (besides a little extra sodium metal ions that were added by mistake).

Ok thank you. I will see how it works out.
Thanks a lot.

Latest posts

Back