My first gold button šŸ˜ƒ

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acidrain

Supporting Member
I started with 1lb deutsch pins digested in nitric acid but not all of them digested and I didn't want to spend the extra acid to get the job done, I haven't weighed the ones left yet but I'd guess around 10g. I dissolved foils in AR and then denoxed with sulfamic acid and dropped gold with SMB. Gold dropped fast and I decanted the solution and collected what dropped, saving the solution and let it sit over night while the rest settled. I'm so glad I did that because the rest got trapped in metastannic acid (pretty sure that's the fluffy stuff is) and I haven't figured out that problem yet. There's probably an equal amount that I can't get at right now. I went ahead and simmered the gold powder I collected in HCL 3 times. Then washed it well with clean water 4 times and melted it.

Attachments

• 1000005926.mp4
    308.8 KB
  • 1000005929.jpg
    1000005929.jpg
    602.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0850.jpg
    IMG_0850.jpg
    562.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0851.jpg
    IMG_0851.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0852.jpg
    IMG_0852.jpg
    686.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I started with 1lb deutsch pins digested in nitric acid but not all of them digested and I didn't want to spend the extra acid to get the job done, I haven't weighed the ones left yet but I'd guess around 10g. I denoxed with sulfamic acid and dropped gold with SMB. Gold dropped fast and I decanted the solution and collected what dropped, saving the solution and let it sit over night while the rest settled. I'm so glad I did that because the rest got trapped in metastannic acid (pretty sure that's the fluffy stuff is) and I haven't figured out that problem yet. There's probably an equal amount that I can't get at right now. I went ahead and simmered the gold powder I collected in HCL 3 times. Then washed it well with clean water 4 times and melted it.
We at GRF, wish to instill in members the need for accurate descriptions of processes and reactions. Congratulations on your first Au button! With more understanding of what you are doing, and the whys, you will be on the road to 3-4 .999s buttons.

We at GRF, wish to instill in members the need for accurate descriptions of processes and reactions. Congratulations on your first Au button! With more understanding of what you are doing, and the whys, you will be on the road to 3-4 .999s buttons.
Yes, I learned very much from this. I've read and read and read but nothing really drives it home and brings on MORE questions as actually doing it. I feel so accomplished though non the less!! I have foils from goldfingers liberated with copper(2)chloride ready to refine today. I'm going to use what I learned and do better on this next one!

Latest posts

Back