Need help!!! i put SMB but No gold drops!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsmeadam95

Hi everybody wish y'all doing good, I'm new Here and I need help and a solutions for my precepetation problem, at the beginning I put 150ml HCL to the baker and around 200ml of nitric , reaction start ( color changed ) to orange and i heated the solution for almost an hour then I let it cool a little bit and I put SMB but the gold didnt settle down....what's the problem?? anyway I tried couple time to put more of each acids but when I put SMB no reaction at all and now the baker is about 600ml and half and color is christal orange,i don't know what to do ....please help me

Hi everybody wish y'all doing good, I'm new Here and I need help and a solutions for my precepetation problem, at the beginning I put 150ml HCL to the baker and around 200ml of nitric , reaction start ( color changed ) to orange and i heated the solution for almost an hour then I let it cool a little bit and I put SMB but the gold didnt settle down....what's the problem?? anyway I tried couple time to put more of each acids but when I put SMB no reaction at all and now the baker is about 600ml and half and color is christal orange,i don't know what to do ....please help me
Exactly what Martijn said.
And please do not use text lingo in here, some depend on translators and that don't translate well.

You used enough Nitric to dissolve more than 200g.
So what is happening is that the moment the gold is dropped out of solution it dissolves again.
Heat it to 90 centigrade and add Sulfamic acid a small amount at a time and with the beaker no more than half full.
If you can't get Sulfamic acid, add a gram or so table salt and evaporate to a syrup carefully and add 5-10 ml HCl.
Try to drop again, if it still don't drop, evaporate again.

You used enough Nitric to dissolve more than 200g.
So what is happening is that the moment the gold is dropped out of solution it dissolves again.
Heat it to 90 centigrade and add Sulfamic acid a small amount at a time and with the beaker no more than half full.
If you can't get Sulfamic acid, add a gram or so table salt and evaporate to a syrup carefully and add 5-10 ml HCl.
Try to drop again, if it still don't drop, evaporate again.
Thanks a lot I will try and share the results soon , I appreciate it

Or: add about 50 grams of solid copper (pipe) to use up the +/- 200 ml of free nitric and if that all dissolves, then keep adding copper pieces to cement out any values. Try to avoid nitric condensing back on the beakers walls so keep it open.
You want the nitric out.
Keep enough room in the beaker for the reaction and have a catch basin.
Do it room at temperature.

Do you have a fume hood?
A scrubber flask could reclaim some of your wasted acid.

I bet those gold foils were gone in seconds. Did it almost boil over?

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/when-in-doubt-cement-it-out.30236/
Next time you want to try something, ask us first.
You really need to take it slow and study before you practice.

Hello everyone! Hoping to precipitate the stuck gold in a solution of royal water by evaporation, I put the solution in an electric heater and set it on No 1 and raised the temperature little by little for about two hours, but I did not see any result from this method, and I am not sure of the ability to withstand the dish under the beaker, but it held up with me For all this time, are you suggesting to add urea or to keep heating it until the excess nitric acid is neutralized?

Attachments

• VID_٢٠٢٢١١١٣_١٩٤٠٠٣.mp4
    6.1 MB
It would be best to use sulfamic acid or add more gold until it will not dissolve anymore gold. I know that urea is used by some but if you search the forum it is not advised.
Next time add just enough hydrochloric acid to cover your gold, then add nitric acid a little at a time until it's dissolved so you don't end up with excess nitric. Please search the forums before you add urea so you do not make any dangerous compounds.

Hello everyone! Hoping to precipitate the stuck gold in a solution of royal water by evaporation, I put the solution in an electric heater and set it on No 1 and raised the temperature little by little for about two hours, but I did not see any result from this method, and I am not sure of the ability to withstand the dish under the beaker, but it held up with me For all this time, are you suggesting to add urea or to keep heating it until the excess nitric acid is neutralized?
This is the same things you have been asking about the whole time, right?
Why do you muddle up the forum by creating a new thread.
It means people that try to help you get a hard time finding the info needed.

NO, do not add Urea, but add loads of patience.
2 hours is no time, you need 24-48 or what ever is needed.

As we have suggested to most users, read Hokes book and study the forum.
Then study waste treatment.

This is not a place play cowboy, you can actually get injured or worse, hurt others.

Before you pricipatate a solution you must add urea to neutralize a solution different with this no pricipatation will occur

Before you pricipatate a solution you must add urea to neutralize a solution different with this no pricipatation will occur
We do not support the addition of Urea, it is inefficient and can under some circumstances create explosive compounds.
We advacate the use of Sulfamic acid which is more effective and as a bonus creates Sulfuric acid which will drop what ever Lead is in the solution.

As Yggdrasil said, use your urea in the garden, not in your refining. While you may see many people using urea on youtube videos, there are much better techniques.

You also don't want to neutralize the solution. It needs to be acidic for the SMB to produce the SO2 that reduces the gold to a metal.

You want to use sulfamic acid, dissolve more gold, or evaporate the solution to deNOX it (i.e., eliminate excess nitric acid and its by-products).

Dave

For evaporation to occur, you need ventilation, an erlenmyer is not good for that unless you purge air through the flask.
Vapors will condense to the walls before escaping out to the open air.
Nothing will precipitate as metallic gold by evaporating, I think.. you will have dried gold chloride left, not gold

@Sitta yagodoka, please first study for a while before you give "advice"

Latest posts

Back