need help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmanelgyan

please anytime I try to precipitate gold with smb I see with sediment instead if dark brown. the smb I'm using is sodium metabiasulphite

is it the same as sodium metabisulfite ??

Did you test your solution to see if you had gold in it.... if you had no gold it really won’t matter what you use to precipitate :shock:

Did you test your solution for unspent nitrates?
Is your SMB pure? You aren't using Bonide are you? Because they changed their formula years ago.

Bonide stump remover still works just fine to precipitate gold I have been buying it for as long as I have been refining gold about 7 years now. In fact I just bought some the other day and used it with no issues. I am unfamiliar with any formula change that would cause problems. The original poster needs to be more specific with what he or she means by "sediment" as that may be excess smb or his or her actual gold or something else. Some pictures might help.

They must have changed it back. I haven't processed in years, but I remember having to purchase SMB from a distributor because Bonide changed their main ingredient.

FrugalRefiner said:
Might it have been Spectracide brand? Theirs is potassium nitrate, while Bonide's is sodium metabisulfite.

Dave

This, and the tendency of some brands to have several formulations of the same product, and the number of generic products, is why we check the MSDS.

Time for more coffee.

It appears as though it's irrelevant at this point. If they use SMB (still or again), then the SMB question has been answered.

They paid the fee to become a GRF Supporter and are now putting their link on dozens of threads. Lame, and perhaps against rules. They could at least add to the conversation in their posts. Alas, no.

Time for more coffee.

Latest posts

Back