NEVER SHIP GOLD WITH UPS

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elfixx

Never ever ship your gold using UPS!!! Even if you pay for a insurance they wont pay your claim if they lose it. The worst is even if you call a representative they wont tell you, I personally asked if fine gold bars was safe to ship and could be insured and they clearly told me it can be covered up to 50 000$. I will bring this case to court for faud. I will claim they are inducing their employe to fraud the custumer by not giving the right information even if you ask for it and by charging insurance that wont be honnored in case of loss.

Sorry about your bad experience. Hope you get your money back.

We always shipped PMs USPS registered mail insured. I don't know how well the insurance pays off because I've never heard of a package getting lost. A guy I know, that just retired from the Postal service, told me that he had never seen one lost during his 30 or 40 years. As they're going to their destination, they have to be signed off many times.

I once had a bad experience with UPS. Since then, I'm not using it anymore. In case of a loss, UPS will refund the seller's money as long as you have all the proofs.

Good luck.

I don't know exactly how the US Postal Service insurance works with registered mail. They ask you what to insure it for and you pay accordingly. The last time I looked, the insurance limit was about $75,000. I assume that, if it's lost, they pay what you insured it for, no matter what was in the package. They never seem to ask what's in the package when you mail it. This may have changed since 911. I think the only thing you're not supposed to ship, besides obvious things like explosives, is Federal Reserve notes.

Maybe the Canadian PS works the same.

I have a box right now that is lost in the USPS.I sent it to jack (firewalker)almost 2 months ago,but tracking says its still sitting here at my post office.Heres the clincher.......this is the 4th time.THe last time,I sent him 2 boxes dec 3rd,one box made it in 4 days,the other one arrived the middle of january.
Johnny

they asked me to send proof of what was in the package. As writen on the package and declared I sent pics of the 2 gold bars along with the bill sent to my buyer. The package was insured for 2100$ and now they wont gimme a penny.

The Hope Diamond was shipped via USPS.

I prefer FedEx over UPS. My friend sold his Rolex to someone in Europe, insured it for $15,000 and the guy never received it. Guess who ended up paying (it wasn't UPS).

USPS registered mail is $25,000. I once had a pamphlet from USPS that said their ultimate limit was $25 million. If I find that, I'll scan it.

leavemealone,

I am shocked. Was it sent by Registered Mail? I have sent literally 100s of packages of PMs by registered mail without a hitch.

Leavemealone stated they show as scanned in at his post office, but not scanned in to the next location. Perhaps it is his local post office that is the problem.

My local postmaster knows what I send and the package is not labeled on the exterior with what it contains intentionally, just the insurance amount. It seems a bad idea to label a box as containing “gold” since gold can so easily be sold with little risk at fair value by a thief. Other valued items would be more difficult to sell. I have not had troubles with hundreds of packages using USPS.

Remember....I'm located in Canada... No USPS here. I would have shipped it with Post Canada but they are not willing to insure any PM for more than 500$ when destination is anywhere else than Canada. I think the worst with all this is that I am going to lose a valuable custumer since I have no money to refund him unless UPS pay the insured amount... I dont have a car anymore, I have over 11k school bill to pay, still no job in my field of study and my appartment to pay each month. I'm realy in a bad shape at the moment.

Elfixx,

$2100 is a lot of money to most. I hope you can get it resolved out of court. Be mindful that depending on how you were paid the funds could be clawed back. That would be a rude surprise.

I have noticed some sellers on eBay state that they will refund a buyer in the event of an insurance claim “after” they themselves have been compensated by the insurance. This keeps them from having to be out-of-pocket funds due to a lost package.

I once had a Canadian Post parcel lost on it's way to me and was able to recover the full amount of the purchase.

All I received was the top of an old raggedy box (the guy should have never packed the 20 pounds of fingers in such a crappy box) in an envelope from the Postmaster General. The accompanying letter stated that the parcel was missing except for the lid. I suspect the decrepit old box fell apart and the contents went everywhere and were discarded.

I followed the directions in the letter that was attached and within two months had a full refund on my purchase, shipping and all. Luckily the Canadian Post form had the declared value of the item as my exact purchase price including shipping.

I ship hundreds of parcels via Priority USPS and have had no trouble to date. Registered mail is very slow, but it must be signed for at every point along it's delivery path. They maintain a very secure chain of custody in the US Postal service.

UPS sucks. I get broken items form them all the time and they never take care of the loss.

FedEx is very good about shipping items safely, however last month I received a parcel from Canada (large quartz tube) and it was shattered. Still no refund yet and I paid top dollar for insurance. FedEx was not to blame in my opinion as the guy packaged the stuff like a two year old wraps a Christmas present. I blame him, not FedEx. Still waiting for my refund....

Steve

elfixx said:
they asked me to send proof of what was in the package. As writen on the package and declared I sent pics of the 2 gold bars along with the bill sent to my buyer. The package was insured for 2100$ and now they wont gimme a penny.

I used to manufacture a piece of equipment that was used by automotive transmission repair shops. One of my customers was a national chain of transmission shops. I shipped an order to one of these franchise shops that was new, and just setting up for business, so they were ordering a lot of equipment. The UPS driver could not find this shop, so he delivered dozens of packages to a different shop of this same franchise in a different zip code!

Well half the order disappeared, and the national head quarters of the franchise asked me to send a replacement, saying UPS would reimburse me, so I did.

You would think this would be a cut and dry case, and I would be reimbursed by UPS. No way. They give you the run-around until your wasting $500 worth of time on a $150 claim. I finally gave up.

UPS insurance is a joke. (Or a crime.) The run-around is standard operating procedure. I suggest you sue them. They deserve it.

John

Hey guys,
I did have shipping and insurance.I just got a check and they said jack stills gets the box when(if) it makes it,and I already have some other stuff on the way to Jack soon.
So at least I got some money back for the material,but the material was going to pay jack back for something,and it was worth more than the 200 that they gave me for it,but that was my fault,I should have insured it for more.But I know he'll get it......its just a matter of when.
On a side note I need to say something,I appreciate you guys very much! From my best friends,to the newbies just starting that I haven't met yet.I've been through so much during the last couple of years,and with the exception of a little stumble(my mistake),I have had one of the best times in my life so far.A special thanks to Jack for being who you are,you sick bastard....lol,you are the father,brother,and best friend I've always wanted.Thanks for everything guys,you all mean very much to me.
Johnny

Johnny,

We all appreciate you as well. The forum wouldn't be what it is without ya.

Stay strong, especially in these tough times all.

Nick

I shipped an antique item I sold for $1500.00. UPS delivered the item, missing most of the box and completely broken. Insurance Claim:Denied. I had to pay $1500.00.

Story two: Shipped another $1000.00 item. UPS smashed it to a thousand pieces. Insurance Claim: Denied. I had to pay $1000.00

I have asked the following question to around 100 business people I have come across. "What do you think of UPS?"....Most of the responses can't be repeated due to extreme foul language. 90% say negative things about them.

I do NOT use UPS anymore!
USPS always pays insurance...
FedEx has never broken anything yet.....

I've joked with friends on the UPS catch phrase of "What can Brown do for you?"

We laugh because there is something else that is BROWN too. lol

UPS is a joke. UPS stands for Unbelievably Poor Service.

(Note to UPS lawyers: Just remember that truth is an absolute defense and I would also like to see how you could prove this one obtuse message on a frivolous (no offense noxx, just protecting myself) website forum could even remotely harm your business)

daveerf said:
UPS stands for Unbelievably Poor Service.

I thought it was "United Package Smashers"

I once ordered some tomato plant seedlings. The package said "Live Plants" " This Side Up" The UPS driver actually left the box standing on end when he delivered. Needless to say the plants, though well packaged, were completely destroyed.

daveerf said:
I shipped an antique item I sold for $1500.00. UPS delivered the item, missing most of the box and completely broken. Insurance Claim:Denied. I had to pay $1500.00.

Story two: Shipped another $1000.00 item. UPS smashed it to a thousand pieces. Insurance Claim: Denied. I had to pay $1000.00

I have asked the following question to around 100 business people I have come across. "What do you think of UPS?"....Most of the responses can't be repeated due to extreme foul language. 90% say negative things about them.

I do NOT use UPS anymore!
USPS always pays insurance...
FedEx has never broken anything yet.....

I've joked with friends on the UPS catch phrase of "What can Brown do for you?"

We laugh because there is something else that is BROWN too. lol

UPS is a joke. UPS stands for Unbelievably Poor Service.

(Note to UPS lawyers: Just remember that truth is an absolute defense and I would also like to see how you could prove this one obtuse message on a frivolous (no offense noxx, just protecting myself) website forum could even remotely harm your business)

Yeah, I'd have to say the man takes issue with ups. I've been that pissed with a company once or twice.

I was told by a friend who was involved with legal work, that unless there were more than 10K in damages, that most lawyers won't even consider taking a case.
When they charge $400.00 to just write a letter, the costs to represent a client quickly become losses. Think about it, if you settle for 10K and the lawyer gets 40%, $4000.00 doesn't pay very many bills.
Thats why they are always looking to sue clients that have deeeeep pockets.
These business know that you can't get a lawyer to represent you for a claim of $2500.00. Plus they have a fleet of their own lawyers that they can throw at you till the costs drive you under.
Ain't justice grand!!!

Back