New Hobby - Electrotyping

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoneware

Has anyone here tried it,

The majority of youtube videos on the subject are rubbish, the attached document is an eye opener.

This video below is a good example of what can be done.

I have a couple of projects on my to do list, nothing as eleaborate as the Tiffany vase.

Attachments

• electroforming_auniquemetalfabricationprocess_10084_.pdf
    542.5 KB · Views: 0
I tinkered around with it some. Mainly copper plating as a means to learn running a copper refining cell. I did quite a bit of cheap bubble gum machine jewelry with copper. I got far enough at one time to copper plate tree leaves and some plastics. It isn’t hard to get the basics but the advanced stuff can be tougher. If you want to run a refining cell it is a good way gain some valuable insight into cells in general.

The metals in the periodic table which maybe plated may also be electrically refined.

Alloys like brass require double salts.

Screenshot from 2023-01-01 13-37-43.png

I see sreetips burning everything to get residue off and the first thing that came to mind was the manufacturing of coated copper wires and the lubes they use for the wire dies. Residue from the casings could be a gummy subject as well

What I have is anhydrous copper ( II sulfate

Anhydrous copper sulfate is 39.81 percent copper and 60.19 percent sulfate by mass, and in its blue, hydrous form, it is 25.47% copper, 38.47% sulfate (12.82% sulfur) and 36.06% water by mass.

During transit the circuit board a tab soldered to the board broke off taking the copper underlay with it.

I'm going to repair the board by electroplating new copper onto the missing section.

Top board is a replement provided by my vendor in China, should the repair go south I still have the means to repair my induction furnace.

broken.jpeg

Back