New member, review bar melt process please?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-ICFGD

New member, but been lurking the forum for a while (40+ hours of reading), watched a ton of Sreetlips videos (40+ hrs) before coming here too. Man I can find 1000 diff tutorials on refining to pure, but minimal detailed info on my specific need, just to melt and homogenize a bar. It seems almost that what I'm doing is so simple noone bothered to make a tutorial or give tips on why. To this day I'm still unsure what type of torches he is using for his countertop crucible melts.
I Have no intention to refine at this stage, only melt and pour into a bar then analyze with xrf. I wish to do this to eliminate the "melt losses" that occur when sending to the refinery. (or really to keep those melt losses in my workshop for later refining vs leaving them in the refiners dustbin for them to later capitalize on. Obviously some melt losses vs theoretical gold yield will be unavoidable, Burning off grease from the jewelry, stones (which I pull all of ), underkarating at the factory, mislabeled or mis categorized gold scraps on my end, solder and platinum contaminates. But I can at least know those losses by sending in a homogenous analyzed brick and eventually retain a pin sample.

1st Goal. To be able to melt beads of karat scrap gold, pound them out with a hammer and test with XRF gun which I have available.
2nd (true) Goal. To be able to melt bars in the ~1 kilo range of karat scrap gold which are homogenous and sufficiently clean to test with XRF gun.
3rd (for bragging rights) goal: to make said bars look pretty and stamp them with my info to make them less easy to sell if they were stolen. using metal punches. which I already own. along with weights and fineness as tested by XRF gun
I have access to a iron working forge along with anvil, crucibles (already did the glazing with 20 mule team borax) and various tongs/tools for managing the items in the forge. Its one of the 2 turbojet propane burner forges as seen on amazon. I also have leather gloves and apron and intend to wear long pants and leather hiking boots as I do not have a set of steel toed boots at this time. I wear prescription glasses but any time I'm moving molten metal I put on an additional set of safety goggles. I should probably get a face mask as well.

Comparable model of the forge I'm using

https://www.amazon.com/Propane-Blac...=1695745531&sprefix=forge,aps,104&sr=8-6&th=1
I have also about 2 dozen fire bricks (the heavier ones from tractor supply not the light airy ones) which I use to create a safe work surface when dealing with pouring metals etc.

I intended to do the following in this order.

1. melt copper pipe scrap (no solder joints) into a bar by melting in a quartz crucible and then pouring into a graphite mold.
1a. I failed to melt copper using various torches I already owned by direct firing into a crucible. Propane was unable to accomplish my task with the torches I had available, a later test with Mapp gas successfully melted one copper bead appx 20 grams, but It was of insufficient to make the bead flow for pouring. I determined my torches were insufficient even when creating a small firebrick enclosure to blast the crucible in. I also tried with 2x torches
1a. I have successfully done this with minor bubbles on the receiving molded bar. I'm not concerned about bubbles so long as it doesn't create splashed metal. I melted a few buttons into a ceramic quartz crucible and have been able to get it to pouring consistency. I preheated the Graphite bar mold using the waste heat coming from the front of the forge as the crucible was inside the forge. prior to pouring I stirred with graphite rod to verify no chunks inside.

2. Repeat process above Melting directly in Graphite mold. (what specifically is the issue with melting directly in graphite? is it only that the mold will degrade over time? I know graphite crucibles are used almost exclusively with electric furnaces so I knew it could handle the temps, I verified this by doing a dry run with only a graphite mold to red hot, then a 2nd run with a small amount of copper in the mold from which I successfully made a coin shaped ingot)

Anyway, I did this with apx. 5 ozt. copper and seemed to have no ill effects. but I can see the walls of my mold seem to be getting a bit thinner. I'm comfortable that it has at least 5 more melts in it before I need to reevaluate and consider replacing. I'm now the proud owner of a copper bar with minimal bubbles on the bottom side.

3. Repeat 1 and 2 using silver. I used about 5 ozt total of silver bar scrap in the 95% plus purity range working my way up from a few grams to the full 5 ozt. Silver bars are causing issues as the bubbles are excessive the bars are ugly and I'm not super happy, however I am convinced they are homogenous. My understanding is the "boiling" that is causing the cavetation is due to oxygen being absorbed into the silver and then "fizzing" out during the cooling. some of the silver bubbling was sufficient to throw tiny beads outside the mold so this is an issue with silver I will need to address. Somehow reducing the oxygen probably by using a different tool for melting or potentially learning more about how to operate the jet burners on the forge to ensure the oxygen is completely spent on the propane before it makes it to the silver. another idea was to float some charcoal on the silver to absorb the oxygen before it gets to the silver hopefully.

4. Today's project. Since I'm now working with gold I will be using all new molds/crucibles and have marked and set aside my copper and silver crucibles already. I have samples of 22k, 21k, 23k, 24k. each between 10 to 20 grams appx. I intend to melt each into a button, hammer and test with XRF to verify my guessed karat based on xrf of the raw jewelry.

4a I then intend to mix those 4 buttons into 1 homogenous button. and repeat XRF test.

4b. I then intend to melt about 10-20 ozt of 10 and 14k karat scrap intended for refining and create a homogenous bar using the same techniques I used for the copper and silver. stir, mold, and analyze before sending to the refiner for them to do their thing and get me paid back for my investment.

Of course I will keep careful notes on the feed stock weights, and do the proper calculations of expected yield vs my measured yield of post melt weight and vs the final yield as determined by my refiner. As this is the data I'm looking for in this project and I am very comfortable doing these calculations as I have been for the past 10 years before sending loose broken jewelry to the refiner.

Once I've done the proof of concept project with my less than ideal tools available and verify I do want to pre-melt my gold in the future I will probably invest in a lower cost propane melting furnace, and a proper oxy/acetylene or oxy/propane setup as I just can't seem to get the required temps with the tools I have available.

Specific questions:
1. my understanding is the bubbling is a silver specific issue that will be much less pronounced in karat gold. am I accurate in this? If so I can worry about silver melts in the future, gold melt is what I'm concerned with at this time...

2. Other than glazing the quartz porcelain type crucibles what is the purpose of the borax flux in my situation of melting karat gold. Is it even necessary? I know when I went to a refiner and they melted in front of me they melted in tabletop electric crucible furnace not much different from the cheap ones seen on amazon, and they used what seemed like a ton of borax powder, enough that the resulting brick was coated with about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of molten slag whch was easily hammered off. Why would they do this? Is this the right thing to do?

3. I tried to be as detailed without writing 2 novels, What am I doing wrong? what is a safety concern? where might I be losing metals?

4. I have 3 types of crucibles. Small white ceramic quartz dishes, a graphite cylinder crucible about 2 inches tall by 1.5 inches wide, and a larger graphite clay crucible. I have read not to use flux with the graphite clay as it causes oxidation issues. (one of my silver melts I forgot this and added flux which seems to have damaged my crucible, I did not have time to wait for it to cool to properly observe it. Obviously these 3 crucible types have different purposes but I'm not seeing much info on this specific subject, can anyone expound? When would flux be advisable in each of these types of crucible?

5. I have been placing the crucible directly under the flame jet of the forge, is that the wrong place to do it, I suspect this is why I"m getting the oxygen contamination on silver?
For anyone who takes the time I really appreciate any information/suggestions. Thanks and God bless.

New member, but been lurking the forum for a while (40+ hours of reading), watched a ton of Sreetlips videos (40+ hrs) before coming here too. Man I can find 1000 diff tutorials on refining to pure, but minimal detailed info on my specific need, just to melt and homogenize a bar. It seems almost that what I'm doing is so simple noone bothered to make a tutorial or give tips on why. To this day I'm still unsure what type of torches he is using for his countertop crucible melts.
I Have no intention to refine at this stage, only melt and pour into a bar then analyze with xrf. I wish to do this to eliminate the "melt losses" that occur when sending to the refinery. (or really to keep those melt losses in my workshop for later refining vs leaving them in the refiners dustbin for them to later capitalize on. Obviously some melt losses vs theoretical gold yield will be unavoidable, Burning off grease from the jewelry, stones (which I pull all of ), underkarating at the factory, mislabeled or mis categorized gold scraps on my end, solder and platinum contaminates. But I can at least know those losses by sending in a homogenous analyzed brick and eventually retain a pin sample.

1st Goal. To be able to melt beads of karat scrap gold, pound them out with a hammer and test with XRF gun which I have available.
2nd (true) Goal. To be able to melt bars in the ~1 kilo range of karat scrap gold which are homogenous and sufficiently clean to test with XRF gun.
3rd (for bragging rights) goal: to make said bars look pretty and stamp them with my info to make them less easy to sell if they were stolen. using metal punches. which I already own. along with weights and fineness as tested by XRF gun
I have access to a iron working forge along with anvil, crucibles (already did the glazing with 20 mule team borax) and various tongs/tools for managing the items in the forge. Its one of the 2 turbojet propane burner forges as seen on amazon. I also have leather gloves and apron and intend to wear long pants and leather hiking boots as I do not have a set of steel toed boots at this time. I wear prescription glasses but any time I'm moving molten metal I put on an additional set of safety goggles. I should probably get a face mask as well.

Comparable model of the forge I'm using

https://www.amazon.com/Propane-Blac...=1695745531&sprefix=forge,aps,104&sr=8-6&th=1
I have also about 2 dozen fire bricks (the heavier ones from tractor supply not the light airy ones) which I use to create a safe work surface when dealing with pouring metals etc.

I intended to do the following in this order.

1. melt copper pipe scrap (no solder joints) into a bar by melting in a quartz crucible and then pouring into a graphite mold.
1a. I failed to melt copper using various torches I already owned by direct firing into a crucible. Propane was unable to accomplish my task with the torches I had available, a later test with Mapp gas successfully melted one copper bead appx 20 grams, but It was of insufficient to make the bead flow for pouring. I determined my torches were insufficient even when creating a small firebrick enclosure to blast the crucible in. I also tried with 2x torches
1a. I have successfully done this with minor bubbles on the receiving molded bar. I'm not concerned about bubbles so long as it doesn't create splashed metal. I melted a few buttons into a ceramic quartz crucible and have been able to get it to pouring consistency. I preheated the Graphite bar mold using the waste heat coming from the front of the forge as the crucible was inside the forge. prior to pouring I stirred with graphite rod to verify no chunks inside.

2. Repeat process above Melting directly in Graphite mold. (what specifically is the issue with melting directly in graphite? is it only that the mold will degrade over time? I know graphite crucibles are used almost exclusively with electric furnaces so I knew it could handle the temps, I verified this by doing a dry run with only a graphite mold to red hot, then a 2nd run with a small amount of copper in the mold from which I successfully made a coin shaped ingot)

Anyway, I did this with apx. 5 ozt. copper and seemed to have no ill effects. but I can see the walls of my mold seem to be getting a bit thinner. I'm comfortable that it has at least 5 more melts in it before I need to reevaluate and consider replacing. I'm now the proud owner of a copper bar with minimal bubbles on the bottom side.

3. Repeat 1 and 2 using silver. I used about 5 ozt total of silver bar scrap in the 95% plus purity range working my way up from a few grams to the full 5 ozt. Silver bars are causing issues as the bubbles are excessive the bars are ugly and I'm not super happy, however I am convinced they are homogenous. My understanding is the "boiling" that is causing the cavetation is due to oxygen being absorbed into the silver and then "fizzing" out during the cooling. some of the silver bubbling was sufficient to throw tiny beads outside the mold so this is an issue with silver I will need to address. Somehow reducing the oxygen probably by using a different tool for melting or potentially learning more about how to operate the jet burners on the forge to ensure the oxygen is completely spent on the propane before it makes it to the silver. another idea was to float some charcoal on the silver to absorb the oxygen before it gets to the silver hopefully.

4. Today's project. Since I'm now working with gold I will be using all new molds/crucibles and have marked and set aside my copper and silver crucibles already. I have samples of 22k, 21k, 23k, 24k. each between 10 to 20 grams appx. I intend to melt each into a button, hammer and test with XRF to verify my guessed karat based on xrf of the raw jewelry.

4a I then intend to mix those 4 buttons into 1 homogenous button. and repeat XRF test.

4b. I then intend to melt about 10-20 ozt of 10 and 14k karat scrap intended for refining and create a homogenous bar using the same techniques I used for the copper and silver. stir, mold, and analyze before sending to the refiner for them to do their thing and get me paid back for my investment.

Of course I will keep careful notes on the feed stock weights, and do the proper calculations of expected yield vs my measured yield of post melt weight and vs the final yield as determined by my refiner. As this is the data I'm looking for in this project and I am very comfortable doing these calculations as I have been for the past 10 years before sending loose broken jewelry to the refiner.

Once I've done the proof of concept project with my less than ideal tools available and verify I do want to pre-melt my gold in the future I will probably invest in a lower cost propane melting furnace, and a proper oxy/acetylene or oxy/propane setup as I just can't seem to get the required temps with the tools I have available.

Specific questions:
1. my understanding is the bubbling is a silver specific issue that will be much less pronounced in karat gold. am I accurate in this? If so I can worry about silver melts in the future, gold melt is what I'm concerned with at this time...

2. Other than glazing the quartz porcelain type crucibles what is the purpose of the borax flux in my situation of melting karat gold. Is it even necessary? I know when I went to a refiner and they melted in front of me they melted in tabletop electric crucible furnace not much different from the cheap ones seen on amazon, and they used what seemed like a ton of borax powder, enough that the resulting brick was coated with about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of molten slag whch was easily hammered off. Why would they do this? Is this the right thing to do?

3. I tried to be as detailed without writing 2 novels, What am I doing wrong? what is a safety concern? where might I be losing metals?

4. I have 3 types of crucibles. Small white ceramic quartz dishes, a graphite cylinder crucible about 2 inches tall by 1.5 inches wide, and a larger graphite clay crucible. I have read not to use flux with the graphite clay as it causes oxidation issues. (one of my silver melts I forgot this and added flux which seems to have damaged my crucible, I did not have time to wait for it to cool to properly observe it. Obviously these 3 crucible types have different purposes but I'm not seeing much info on this specific subject, can anyone expound? When would flux be advisable in each of these types of crucible?

5. I have been placing the crucible directly under the flame jet of the forge, is that the wrong place to do it, I suspect this is why I"m getting the oxygen contamination on silver?
For anyone who takes the time I really appreciate any information/suggestions. Thanks and God bless.
This has to do with heat in versus heat out.
You need to put more heat into the metal than the heat that escapes. (Not temperature)
So you need a protection (insulation) around and under the crucible.

What I fail to understand is why you want to do this.
Karat scrap is easy salable as karat scrap, once you melt it it will loose that feature, and some value for the same reason.
Most people here refine the karat scrap, and as such they want it in shot form not bars.

At this point I could ask the same questions regarding why you guys waste all this acid refining a karat feedstock to pure etc, I understand its a hobby and hope you all have fun doing it, I do question the value of refining scraps on a small scale vs just selling and buying back damaged gold bars from the refiner for your pour projects etc. So from my perspective and in my situation it seems silly to invest in a fume hood and glassware and very expensive nitric to accomplish these goals of pure gold. Unless its just a hobby to enjoy then I fully understand.

I understand its a heat in/heat out issue and that my propane/mapp torch tools are not seeming to be up to the task. I need a better torch to do this. if anyone has a better way to usethe tools I currently have to melt in a dish I'll be happy to hear suggestions. but I"ve tried making a kiln/enclosure with the fire bricks and wasted 40+ pounds of propane using the hand torches, 1 pound bottles of mapp and propane, and also using a weed burner directly tied to a 20 lb propane tank which I was able to straighten a couch spring into a straight rod to then make into a very crude crucible holding tool. temps were there, getting enough into the copper bead was not working out. I was able to melt one bead by supercharging the propane weed burner with an air compressor micro nozzle shot into the burner. Regardless these failed attempts can be sovled with better tools which is a short term future investment should I be able to eliminate or account for some of my melt losses.

I'm working with the refine scraps from a small chain of "we buy gold" stores. My goal is to improve my ability to know what I have before I send it using the XRF gun I have available. furthermore the long term goal, I wish to be able to provide the same service to other pawn shops in the area to eliminate variables and potentially convince them to sell to me immediately and pay out with immediate cash which can often scrape a few % discount for myself to profit from the longer process of shipping and waiting for refiner to pay you.

I sell direct to refiner, to my purposes there is no loss in value from marked scrap pieces to a homogenous bar. I wish to eliminate variables between the pre melt weight and estimated gold content based on calculation vs the final report from refiner which invariably comes back slightly less purity and with a lighter post melt weight due to burn off. Invariably on clean scrap lots the return is between 90-95% of expected value, sometimes slightly larger sometimes as low as 88% is the worst I got. these calculations are based on assumed gold content IE "par" for 1000 dwt of 14k would be 583 dwt of pure gold payout, when I actually get usually about 95% of that (after the refiner takes their 1.5%)

I know some variables include:

1. lost weight due to non gold contaminants (skin cells, crud, etc)
2. inaccurate composition assumptions due to clasp springs solder etc.
3. possible loss in transit to the crucible including potential theft by an untrustworthy fedex, or refinery employee (not accusing but good to eliminate that possibility when you only got 90% of what you expected)
4. my mistake in categorizing the gold into 10k/14k etc piles. IE accidentally throw a 10k piece in the 14k or vice versa.
5. underkarating of gold at the manufacturer, 13.5 kt often poses as 14k.
6. potential platinum losses of platinum heads etc. (BTW these would not melt and would appear as solids in the liquid metal that I could pick out with tweezers while gold is molten, or more likely be last to pour out of the crucible when pouring, am I correct?)

Also I have an XRF and I can use that to test a homogenous bar while its much less useful for testing 500+ pieces of scrap. this will reduce uncertainty on the product sent in.

these are the reasons I want to do this.

re Platinum heads on gold rings, (BTW these would not melt and would appear as solids in the liquid metal that I could pick out with tweezers while gold is molten, or more likely be last to pour out of the crucible when pouring, am I correct?)

Last edited:
Also I have quite a few pounds of silver lathings and poorly poured armature made bars, I'd like to make into pretty bars for personal storage. hoping its at least .99 fine, if not It might go into a silver cell in the future, or just get shipped to refiner for payout. However the bubbling issue is holding me back form that low priority project. hoping once I get the gold system down I can use those tools to accomplish pretty silver bars of appx 50 ozt ea.

Also I have quite a few pounds of silver lathings and poorly poured armature made bars, I'd like to make into pretty bars for personal storage. hoping its at least .99 fine, if not It might go into a silver cell in the future, or just get shipped to refiner for payout. However the bubbling issue is holding me back form that low priority project. hoping once I get the gold system down I can use those tools to accomplish pretty silver bars of appx 50 ozt ea.
Silver melting and pouring has been discussed in deapth in many threads. Search the forum.

Edit for spelling

Last edited:
Silver melting and pouring has been discussed in death in many threads. Search the forum.
Understood, that project is on the back burner for the bubbling issues already mentioned, it was intended as a step in practicing melting with the tools I had on hand (copper>silver>gold scrap progression) I discovered an issue and asked a question regarding whether it would be an issue when I did gold as my review of the forums and other sources don't seem to have the same issues when doing gold. I wasn't asking for help on melting and pouring silver. (at this time)

One of the questions I am asking is, is the bubbling issue a silver specific issue or am I likely to have same bubbling issues when pouring gold in the same manner as the silver I poured the other night? I've not seen any people having similar issues pouring pure gold, or when pouring 14k ingots for jewelry making. Will the fact that I'm pouring karat gold cause these same issues to arise due to the non gold components? my best research leads me to assume I will not likely face these issues...

Understood, that project is on the back burner for the bubbling issues already mentioned, it was intended as a step in practicing melting with the tools I had on hand (copper>silver>gold scrap progression) I discovered an issue and asked a question regarding whether it would be an issue when I did gold as my review of the forums and other sources don't seem to have the same issues when doing gold. I wasn't asking for help on melting and pouring silver. (at this time)

One of the questions I am asking is, is the bubbling issue a silver specific issue or am I likely to have same bubbling issues when pouring gold in the same manner as the silver I poured the other night? I've not seen any people having similar issues pouring pure gold, or when pouring 14k ingots for jewelry making. Will the fact that I'm pouring karat gold cause these same issues to arise due to the non gold components? my best research leads me to assume I will not likely face these issues...
Silver and Palladium soaks up Oxygen from the air when molten, and ejects it when cooling down.

At this point I could ask the same questions regarding why you guys waste all this acid refining a karat feedstock
Most of us started with some sort of plated scrap or electronics we got our hands on.
Some are experienced professionals working at or even owning a refinery. Some want to make a pair of wedding rings or jewelry.

And marked karat gold is good to sell, if you have enough to sell. Most start with E-waste and some do plated jewelry.

It's a great hobby both in getting satisfaction from making your own pure gold as the science behind it. I keep learning every day and getting better at it.

Welcome to the forum.

You sure do write long post's 😄

Gold won’t have the bubble problem that silver or palladium has. On another note, the hard type fire brick are durable but takes a lot of heat to get up to temperature. Once hot they will hold that heat fairly well, but be hot on both sides. The soft brick, doesn’t absorb heat, but often reflects it, allowing the heat to go more directly into melting your materials. Using a forge type furnace will work, but at the cost of more gas and time, especially if you place the hard brick inside of it. Your forge may work better with the soft type brick and a coating to protect it as well as direct the heat back into your material. There are many different kinds and some work better than others. It will also protect the ceramic wool type insulation much better, but only to a limited degree.

I am just a hobbyist as well. Over the last twelve or so years I have done less than ten ounces of karat scrap. I have lost count of how much gold filled I have ran but it has been a main stay for me for over five years. I do get a few percent more for gold based on purity hence the use of acids. Besides that, I like to produce as good a product as I can, so I keep learning.

Hope this helps some, and good luck with your venture.

Last edited:
But then why waste enenergy and materials on melting recognizable and possibly marked karat scrap into a bar of which the origin can be anything and thus questionable?

Melting metal is just that by the way. Clean crucible. Stirr with a graphite rod to get it homogenized well.
Preheat your mold.

A melted, homogenous bar is easier to sample at the refinery as well as an accurate way to keep track of exacting values of the materials. A way to protect you investments.
I think what he is working towards is collecting, or buying from local “we buy gold” shops and selling to larger refineries direct. This requires real volume to gain a few percent in pay out. I knew a man from Chicago that done it for years. He needed 50 ounces to get 2 percent more than he paid. Most times he would sell between 100 and 200 ounces a month. He ran a route every two weeks from southern Minnesota to south Florida. A week down and a week back home. No idea what happened to his suppliers after he died.

A melted, homogenous bar is easier to sample at the refinery as well as an accurate way to keep track of exacting values of the materials. A way to protect you investments.
I think what he is working towards is collecting, or buying from local “we buy gold” shops and selling to larger refineries direct. This requires real volume to gain a few percent in pay out. I knew a man from Chicago that done it for years. He needed 50 ounces to get 2 percent more than he paid. Most times he would sell between 100 and 200 ounces a month. He ran a route every two weeks from southern Minnesota to south Florida. A week down and a week back home. No idea what happened to his suppliers after he died.
Accurate summation.

Thanks for your replies to my melt question regarding bubbling silver.

IMO, Silver is much easier as a starting point, then work your way up and into gold, propane furnaces are cheaper than you think as well..

Most of us started with some sort of plated scrap or electronics we got our hands on.
Some are experienced professionals working at or even owning a refinery. Some want to make a pair of wedding rings or jewelry.

And marked karat gold is good to sell, if you have enough to sell. Most start with E-waste and some do plated jewelry.

It's a great hobby both in getting satisfaction from making your own pure gold as the science behind it. I keep learning every day and getting better at it.

Welcome to the forum.

You sure do write long post's 😄
Yah eventually I'll play with ewaste, and I have a 50 gal drum of plates silverware I might melt into anodes, and attempt to concentrate via copper cell.

Re long posts, I read "why can't I ask a simple question and get a simple answer" :D and since I'm dealing with molten metals and reasonably intimidated by the process and inherent dangers I just posted exactly what my plan was/what I wanted to do and asked for help/tips as was explained in many many posts :D

Thanks for your answers :D

But then why waste enenergy and materials on melting recognizable and possibly marked karat scrap into a bar of which the origin can be anything and thus questionable?

Melting metal is just that by the way. Clean crucible. Stirr with a graphite rod to get it homogenized well.
Preheat your mold.

Shark explained it; I'm already selling to refiner therefore on the items not useful for resale as is there is no value to keeping the markings, I want to eliminate variables that may account for my 90 to 95% yield from refiner vs the expected 98.5% yield advertised.

Thanks for all the help so far, if anyone has the time to address the other quesions I would appreciate any info I can get.

2. Other than glazing the quartz porcelain type crucibles what is the purpose of the borax flux in my situation of melting karat gold. Is it even necessary? I know when I went to a refiner and they melted in front of me they melted in tabletop electric crucible furnace not much different from the cheap ones seen on amazon, and they used what seemed like a ton of borax powder, enough that the resulting brick was coated with about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of molten slag which was easily hammered off. Why would they do this? Is this the right thing to do?

4. I have 3 types of crucibles. Small white ceramic quartz dishes, a graphite cylinder crucible about 2 inches tall by 1.5 inches wide, and a larger graphite clay crucible. I have read not to use flux with the graphite clay as it causes oxidation issues. (one of my silver melts I forgot this and added flux which seems to have damaged my crucible, I did not have time to wait for it to cool to properly observe it. Obviously these 3 crucible types have different purposes but I'm not seeing much info on this specific subject, can anyone expound? When would flux be advisable in each of these types of crucible in my specific purpose of melting karat scrap into a bar?

5. I have been placing the crucible directly under the closest flame jet of the forge, is that the wrong place to do it, I suspect this is why I'm getting the oxygen contamination on silver? I may need to learn more about how to properly tune the propane jet flame to reduce oxygen in the forge.

6. Why is everyone so adamant about not melting in graphite? is it because of degradation to the graphite under long high heat situations in an oxygen environment? IE why its ok to use graphite in an electric furnace? If I'm willing toss a graphite mold after 5 or 10 melts as an acceptable loss of consumables, is there some other reason I should be concerned?

I really would prefer not to pour the metal if I can avoid it at this early step, so just loading the graphite mold, and cooking it till melted, stir then turn off forge and allow to cool would be worth the cost of a $10 mold to me assuming there are no potential catastrophic results...

7. with platinum and palladium having such higher melting points I assume any missed PD/PT components (ie diamond heads) will not melt at the metal temps I can achieve, and therefore be recoverable by decanting the molten metal into a mold, or picking them out with tweezers while the gold is still liquid.

IMO, Silver is much easier as a starting point, then work your way up and into gold, propane furnaces are cheaper than you think as well..

Thanks for your input;

yes I can get a basic propane furnace and kit in the sub $300 range and intend to do so once I have completed my trial run and determine melting into bars is right for me. The economics of my task do not allow for prioritizing silver. This is not a hobby for me, this is directly tethered to my work processing the purchases of a small chain of "we buy gold" stores., silver can sit, gold has to be recycled to maintain cash on hand to buy the next gold.

I'll also probably buy an oxy/acetylene or oxy/propane torch so that I can melt 1-2 kilo lots on the bench with a crucible as my plumbing torches are not up to the job lol.

But that's for later. tonight I'm going to melt my various karat scraps and get them into bar form using the limited tools I have already, its due for shipping tomorrow. :D Unless advised otherwise I will repeat my process for melting the silver bar directly in the mold and do so with gold this time, with a fresh graphite mold directly in the forge sans flux. This seems to me to be the safest way to accomplish my task and avoid pouring or handling molten metal.

Get some borax glass, a number 2 silicon carbide crucible from reputable manufacturer, some proper crucible tongs, a cast iron mold and some pin tube samples.

Get rid of the hard bricks, useless except for the floor.

This whole operation of melting a kilo shouldn’t take more than twenty or thirty minutes in a properly constructed and operated gas forge. I’d suggest making your own tongs if you have hammer and anvil and some found stock.

Thanks for all the help so far, if anyone has the time to address the other quesions I would appreciate any info I can get.

2. Other than glazing the quartz porcelain type crucibles what is the purpose of the borax flux in my situation of melting karat gold. Is it even necessary? I know when I went to a refiner and they melted in front of me they melted in tabletop electric crucible furnace not much different from the cheap ones seen on amazon, and they used what seemed like a ton of borax powder, enough that the resulting brick was coated with about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of molten slag which was easily hammered off. Why would they do this? Is this the right thing to do?

4. I have 3 types of crucibles. Small white ceramic quartz dishes, a graphite cylinder crucible about 2 inches tall by 1.5 inches wide, and a larger graphite clay crucible. I have read not to use flux with the graphite clay as it causes oxidation issues. (one of my silver melts I forgot this and added flux which seems to have damaged my crucible, I did not have time to wait for it to cool to properly observe it. Obviously these 3 crucible types have different purposes but I'm not seeing much info on this specific subject, can anyone expound? When would flux be advisable in each of these types of crucible in my specific purpose of melting karat scrap into a bar?

5. I have been placing the crucible directly under the closest flame jet of the forge, is that the wrong place to do it, I suspect this is why I'm getting the oxygen contamination on silver? I may need to learn more about how to properly tune the propane jet flame to reduce oxygen in the forge.

6. Why is everyone so adamant about not melting in graphite? is it because of degradation to the graphite under long high heat situations in an oxygen environment? IE why its ok to use graphite in an electric furnace? If I'm willing toss a graphite mold after 5 or 10 melts as an acceptable loss of consumables, is there some other reason I should be concerned?

I really would prefer not to pour the metal if I can avoid it at this early step, so just loading the graphite mold, and cooking it till melted, stir then turn off forge and allow to cool would be worth the cost of a $10 mold to me assuming there are no potential catastrophic results...

7. with platinum and palladium having such higher melting points I assume any missed PD/PT components (ie diamond heads) will not melt at the metal temps I can achieve, and therefore be recoverable by decanting the molten metal into a mold, or picking them out with tweezers while the gold is still liquid.
Hi Mike,

I will try to answer question 6 for you, some will agree some won`t.

The purpose of recovery and refining, amongst the joy and happiness that is giving to the hobbyst, is to recover value with lower costs, otherwise it would be more profitable to buy stuff ready made with 1-2% over spot.
That being said, most of us tries to control the flow of input and the gain of output in every process that we use (calculated amounts of acid, amortization of materials, investments, equipment etc.), therefore it is very important that the materials we use can be reused as many times as it is possible, to not raise unnecessary costs, wich will affect the output value.
Using graphite with open flame degrades the graphite faster than using in a homogenous heat environment as electric. Eventually using in electric furnace wiill degrade the crucible, but it will last longer, therefore distributing investment cost over many pours, thus lowering the overall costs with replacement.

Rethink your strategy, make or buy a proper gas operated furnace (as i understand you are thinking 1-2 kg bars) use adequate crucible for melting and graphite mold for pouring. I belive Bigstacked has really good video material on youtube about melting and pouring copper, brass, aluminum and other materials.

What is the point to earn 2-3% on your poured material if you lose 5-6% in investments to make that material?

I might see this wrong, i didn`t run your numbers, but for me, it is always about the parity between the input and the output, and if that parity is negative, it is not worth the time and effort to invest in.

Pete.

Latest posts

Back