New Refinery/Smelter in Spokane??

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I had heard that there was a relatively large new ore refiner in Spokane, WA that we could send our cons to. Anyone know who this is or how to contact them?

goldsilverpro said:
Didn't our old friend Sue work in a refinery in Spokane?
If he did, you know a lot more about him than I did, or do. He was very tight mouthed, aside from willingly insulting some of us.

What gave you the idea he was from Spokane??

Best question is what, exactly, is meant by an ore refiner? Ores are not refined----they are often crushed, maybe concentrated, and even smelted----but refining is relegated to the extracted values. Generally a smelter does not refine, and a refiner does not smelt. Not true in all cases, needless to say, but even Kennecott Copper, in Utah, a huge copper/precious metal operation, refines at a different location than where it smelts.

Harold

I see your point Harold.
My question, and that of the original post, is if there is some place in Wa. that will buy our ore cons, or that we could send our ore cons to in order to have them processed to recover the PM's.

If not there, Where?

Sincerely Rick. "The Rock Man".

I may be wrong, but I expect that one that holds concentrates may well have no avenue for marketing. The metals markets are structured such that unless you have huge volume, on a repeat basis, you must deal with those that accumulate. I found that to be true when I marketed my many years accumulation of platinum. Not many readers, here, would consider owning in the vicinity of 70 ounces as not being significant. but one of the major refiners (JM, to be exact) had no interest in discussing my offering.

Ores would be even more difficult. Custom smelters are virtually extinct now, although there may be one, somewhere, that might entertain small volumes. I know that the one I used in Sparks, Nevada, is long gone.

I really feel that mining is no longer something that can be accomplished on the level of the pick and shovel operation. Might not be true of a high grade deposit, but I dare say a person that has a respectable deposit of base metal ore would have no avenues to pursue, and setting up to process would likely be economically prohibitive. The best one might hope for is to have a claim good enough it can hold the interest of mega corporations.

I'm certainly open to the comments of others. I may be completely out of touch with reality.

Harold

goldsilverpro said:
Didn't our old friend Sue work in a refinery in Spokane?

Now why did you have to make me go back and read everyone of his stupid post? I feel like somebody owes me the last 20 minutes of my life back. :shock:
For some strange reason Chris i'm thinking Spokane to. Some of his conservations have been edited by i think i do remember that part.

I live here in Spokane and can't place anywhere that they might have any kind of refining going on. Can't remember seeing many ore cars through either on the train lines. I know that there has been some recent gold mining action east of town in Murray, ID, but can't find anything to indicate a large enough demand from there (or anywhere else in the area) to dictate building a refinery here

-Lance

Back