New Smelting furnace

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dual flame is good as it makes the heat more even, but turn down the flame so it doesn't flare out the lid opening gap. If the lid is refractory and not Kaowool (which has little weight) the weight of the lid should seal it enough for the excess flame to exit the top hole and not escape horizontally out the side.

A few years back (like 50!) my first furnace was a propane Hoover melter which held a #2 clay graphite bilge crucible. That was back in the day when the level of sophistication to light the furnace involved a lit paper towel tossed in the top. Then the gas was cracked open and the air turned on and increased (along with the gas flow) until the desired flame was achieved.

I never liked the flames shooting out of the furnace so when it was time to pour, or make additions to the crucible, I used the existing heat in the furnace like a pilot light. I wired in a solenoid on the gas feed line and tied it to the blower motor. When I had to open the furnace, I flipped off the switch (and the roaring stopped) and the flame went off allowing me to do what I had to do without flames shooting out. When I needed to turn it back on, a simple flip of the switch instantly re-ignited the furnace. As long as the furnace still had a glow it never failed to re-light.

Dual flame is good as it makes the heat more even, but turn down the flame so it doesn't flare out the lid opening gap. If the lid is refractory and not Kaowool (which has little weight) the weight of the lid should seal it enough for the excess flame to exit the top hole and not escape horizontally out the side.
I corrected the flame after the video. I received my electric furnace, too.

To get hot enough to melt PGM's you would have to introduce oxygen into the flame to get the heat up.
That's what I thought my understanding of it was but I didn't know if two burners made a difference with the smelting furnace or not. I've been trying to get one myself now for a while and no results. Seems every time I get a little bit of money saved up to do it it, here comes a bill that just has to be paid. Some call this phenomenon... Life...

I have a question about that furnace. Does it get hot enough to smelt platinum?
The only way that you can melt platinum in that furnace is if you put it in the gallium matrix if you want to do that it’s expensive to do so but we can walk you through that lol I believe you have to raise the temperature to 300° C for about 2 to 3 hours maintain that and then you should be able to dissolve the platinum in the gallium then once you cool it down it will melt easily and water warm water will actually do it lol.

But don’t do this lol no they answered your question is this furnace will not go up to 3200° by no stretch I wouldn’t attempt in any stretch wouldn’t know if you’d want to platinum at 32,00But don’t do this lol no they answered your question is this furnace will not go up to 3200° by no stretch I wouldn’t attempt in any stretch wouldn’t know if you’d want to melt platinum in a home furnace. 2000° is a lot over 3000 is pushing it. But I believe would be something you might try but you need a lot of extra steps to remove it wet chemistry might be better alternative

Back