Newbe For Gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinstostrip

Hi All,
My name is Stan, I have no Idea what i am doing other than reading your posts from Internet searches. I have collected about 80 pounds of Gold plated Pins. The base metal is magnetic, so it must be iron of some sort. These come from Electronic Pin Clippings during an assembly cycle of optical sub assemblies for value added electronics. I ran some peroxide over a hand full of them and there we no reactions. So I feel confident in the Gold quality. The pins are about 1/2" long and .00175" in Diameter. Yes, that small, I am estimating the gold plate is about 5-7 Microns thick. Could be more could be less.

I have always wanted to try this as I also have many computer parts in the basement that I'll be scrapping, but the pins seemed to be the most simplest thing to start with and I have plenty. Any thoughts or tricks or hints are appreciated. I did buy some HCL in the form of concrete cleaner and a bottle of Stump remover. Assuming this takes away the iron? I have the gloves and goggles and breathing masks.

Otherwise I am a 66 year old male that is looking to have some fun with science and prospecting! :)

Hi All,
My name is Stan, I have no Idea what i am doing other than reading your posts from Internet searches. I have collected about 80 pounds of Gold plated Pins. The base metal is magnetic, so it must be iron of some sort. These come from Electronic Pin Clippings during an assembly cycle of optical sub assemblies for value added electronics. I ran some peroxide over a hand full of them and there we no reactions. So I feel confident in the Gold quality. The pins are about 1/2" long and .00175" in Diameter. Yes, that small, I am estimating the gold plate is about 5-7 Microns thick. Could be more could be less.

I have always wanted to try this as I also have many computer parts in the basement that I'll be scrapping, but the pins seemed to be the most simplest thing to start with and I have plenty. Any thoughts or tricks or hints are appreciated. I did buy some HCL in the form of concrete cleaner and a bottle of Stump remover. Assuming this takes away the iron? I have the gloves and goggles and breathing masks.

Otherwise I am a 66 year old male that is looking to have some fun with science and prospecting! :)
Welcome to us.
Drop the Mask and make sure never to use acids inside, the fumes will destroy any metallics like tools, nails and screws.
Do it outside or in a purpose built fume hood. You may keep the mask as an emergency solution.

This is what we expect from our new members:

1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum:
https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=197982. Then read the safety section of the forum
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum

Hi All,

HCl is just muriatic acid found in every supermarket and hardware shop.
I have never used stump remover and there are more than one out there.
Check its content, if it is Nitrate it can be used for poormans AR
or if it contains Sodium Meta Bisulfite (SMB) it can be used to drop Gold out of an acidic solution.
The best is if it is powder.

Edit for correct name

Last edited:
Masks can be more of a danger than a help as they give a false sense of security with most chemical fumes and as Yggdrasil stated the fumes will ruin all metallic items very quickly once you start processing using acids.
As you have decent amounts I would advise to run small experiments once you know or think you know what is going to happen, make sure that any processing containers are covered and safe from kids , pets and wildlife. Most of the processing can be done outside if you have enough space so as not to cause your neighbours any problems but I would suggest a covering of some sort if you suffer heavy rain storms to avoid loses of values or spills of toxic wastes.
Once you feel confident enough to start post your thoughts here on the forum so the experienced members can critique your ideas, this might save you a lot of unnecessary work and heartache.
Good luck you can do this.

Latest posts

Back