Newbie from Sweden here:)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proffshuggarn

I know it’s out there, somewhere..
Supporting Member
Hello, newbie from Sweden here. My name is Dennis, 46 years young :). I started collecting electronics "scrap" several years ago and have studied youtube and read up, where everyone presents brilliant results without cups overflowing and without problems with too much nitric acid haha.. ;). I've gotten everything I've read you need, even built a good fume hood. But I've only managed to refine with results from plated scrap once.. No matter how I go about it now it just ends up with either a dark green or dark brown liquid after filtration, denox and smb. Have understood that the amount of HnO3 and that I "denox" with urea can be the explanation. Should be exciting to read how you professionals here on the forum do :)

Hello, newbie from Sweden here. My name is Dennis, 46 years young :). I started collecting electronics "scrap" several years ago and have studied youtube and read up, where everyone presents brilliant results without cups overflowing and without problems with too much nitric acid haha.. ;). I've gotten everything I've read you need, even built a good fume hood. But I've only managed to refine with results from plated scrap once.. No matter how I go about it now it just ends up with either a dark green or dark brown liquid after filtration, denox and smb. Have understood that the amount of HnO3 and that I "denox" with urea can be the explanation. Should be exciting to read how you professionals here on the forum do :)
Welcome to us, neighbor.
Stop watching Youtube it will just get you or someone close injured or worse.
And stop using Urea, sprinkle it over your plants instead.
Here we advocate the use of Sulfamic acid, it converts the Nitric and NOx to Sulfuric acid.

Here are some tasks and study material for you:
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

Please tell us how you do it, in detail.
What you add and what you do with it before adding it and such.
It is impossible to answer you with these vague descriptions.

Hello from a Swedish in Oslo, Norway. Nice to have a "proffshuggare" here. ( I myself is the lowest creature within forestry sector, Jægmæstare)
Continue collect scrap while study the forum. No hurry to refine it. The gold is there.

Thank you folks :)
Nice to get quick answers with good advice, and yes, I’ll directly stop watching barefooted people pouring buckets with acids on youtube from now.
Instead I’ll go to the library here and study and also start to describe my process in detail, so I can learn what i did wrong.

When I'm not collecting gilded metal pieces, I work in the mining/rock industry, among other things. And I've had my misgivings about the Hno3/Urea combination. After some contemplation, the decision was made that Urea should not be used in my "laboratory" as it is inappropriate in several ways that everyone here already knows and that do not need to be described in more detail. Urea is used for cucumber cultivation.. period ;). I'll get back to you as soon as I get my "previous" way of working together in detailed text. Thanks for now.
Talk to you soon.

When you have done some studying and feel ready to start on your next recovery post your ideas here on the forum so the members can critique it for you , it might save you some time and pain.
As to the colors of your solutions do not be too concerned so long as you get a clean precipitation of your gold, new members often worry too much over the color of their solutions , if you test to ensure all your gold has dropped the color is unimportant, there are so many variables in materials in e scrap that color is of very little use to determine content of said solutions.

Welcome to the forum. You have some reading to do.
If you want to watch a good refiner on you tube, sreetips is one with a lot of good video's. He is a member here.
To get any values out of your solutions, read:
When In Doubt, Cement It Out
Martijn.
Sreetips is cool, like you wrote, many good videos and today the only channel I’m following regarding refining on YouTube. If there existed a “Oscar-prize”for most authoritative voice, Sreetips should win 🏆 that category every year 😉. At least when you listen to him as a Swede.

Latest posts

Back