newbie needing advice

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johncrocker

Hello I am new to the forum and by no means an expert. I have a couple ounces of scrap gold, mostly rings, watches, pins, gold fillings etc. I wish to start the refining process using acid peroxide since it seems safer and I don't have access to nitric acid. I have sulphoric acid, hydrochloric acid, and hydrogen peroxide already. I just need advice on the proper proportions to mix and steps to disolve the alloys and gold, then I can work on the recovery process which I seem to understand. I am saving the precious metals to make nuggets down the road for my son's college, so any advice would be appreciated. I have studied the safety concerns and have all my ppe ready.
thanks for your time and patience
Johncrocker
Houston Texas

I suggest reading the forum and Hoke's book, and saving up all the jewelry as it is until you understand all the safety aspects of this "hobby". There is no reason to jump into refining now, if you have a long term outlook for the gold. It is what it is in jewelry form or in a bar.

Jim

Do not jump the gun.. That is the biggest piece of advice to give. I have not started yet because there is so much information on this site. READ IT ALL! Learn, Read Hokes Book, Participate in the forum.

Good luck

Carl

Thanks for the advice. Guess I'm anxious, since I have almost a shoebox full of scrap gold and wanting to process out the real scrap, so I can see what I really own.I will research the forum, but trying to understand the entire AP process for gold refining.
thanks
john crocker
Houston Texas

John,
Have you checked out Lazer Steve's videos on his website?

Here is his website;
http://www.goldrecovery.us/

Videos let you see whats going on, and can be a big help.
And Steve makes the best videos.

Jim

Everyone gets anxious. Call it "gold fever" if you will. Your to-be-refined gold is going nowhere, it will be there when you are ready. Read, read, and read. Make sure you have all the materials you will need to finish the whole process before you begin. Be sure of the several processes required to complete the task. Every task has a start and an end, and in your mind should have a very specific outcome, in terms of solution color, the fumes produced, the amount of end product given the amount(s) of feedstocks, and just about everything else. The best approach is to visualize and write down all the steps you will need to go through and to ask questions so you understand why everything is being done, what you should see, and how it should come out. You will be miles ahead if you stay procedural and stick with the discipline of the known methods. Many beginners come on this forum and ask "what if I add this chemical instead of XXX". And there aren't many answers forthcoming, because the people who have the experience to answer your questions aren't in the business or maybe I should say habit of trying new stuff just because they got a wild idea one day.

i mention all of this with a warning,safety first.you cant replace your lungs or eyes and no amount of money is worth these things.i don't think you will get very far using AP on carat gold scrap.AP isn't used to digest gold but the copper underlay normally on printed circuit board fingers but i have been using it to deplate gold clad connector pins.if you have plated scrap you may want to set up a gold cell as it uses concentrated sulfuric acid though its not recommended for R.G.P. items such as watch bands.to deal with carat gold you will need an acid made to digest gold such as aqua regia.this can be made with HCL acid and a good nitrate yard fertilizer like sodium nitrate (poor man's AR).HCL+CHL will digest fine gold particles but you would want to strip the gold from the items first.another approach is to melt the carat gold and pour it into cold water to form BB's then use a hammer to flatten the BB's then use HCL+ Clorox to dissolve the flakes.this creates auric chloride which can then be reacted upon to precipitate the gold out.

Latest posts

Back