Newbie Question about Ceramic CPU's

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eclipse2000

Just a question if anyone has done this and worth the time.

I processed about 1200 Ceramic CPU's (Pentium Pros, Pentiums, i960's, 286 and 186)

I did get gold but thought value much less then I thought.

I did check all the solution after dropping and all clear.

Now since I kept all the CPU's I processed in a container can I or should I try to reprocess them. What I was thinking in doing a batch in AR. Then transferring the AR solution into another batch. Keep doing this until all of them are done. My hope is digest what might be left and transfer and keep going. Sure will have some evaporation of the AR but can slowly add more HCL and Nitric.

I think this will work but wanted to double check.

My other question is about the CPU lids. Maybe that's where the missing values are. Have about 800 of them in a large AP beaker. Almost a week and nothing really dissolved. I heard should not use AR for lids because of the other metals. Is their a better way the AP?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum.
If you list exactly how many of each type you processed I’m sure someone will give you an average yield on them, but you have to remember that exact yields have many variables one of which is your competence as a refiner and that isn’t a dig at you but a simple fact.
I’m sure the lids will contain more values so processing them will be worth while.

Just off my head, yield I got without lids / CPU

25 Pentium Pro - .24
250 Pentium (No Gold Cap) - .06
25 Pentium Gold Cap - .22
100 i960 - .09
800 - 286 / 186. These are the flat ones without pins. 0.12

Pentium Pro seems low. I seemed to get anywhere from 0.33 to 0.37 grams per CPU. The quantity of gold per CPU probably depends on the country manufactured, date manufactured, etc., however.

Latest posts

Back