No precipitation is happening.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desk51

I could really use your help. I got my gold to dissolve into aqua regia (my aqua Regia was yellowish with tint of green), and I added SMB afterwards for precipitation. I added to much SMB it would not dissolve into solution. The solution did turn a orange reddish color. More red than orange. So I waited for 4 hours to see if my SMB fully dissolved it did not, but I did not see any precipitation of gold at all. So I added water to my SMB aqua regia precipitation solution, and still no process. Adding water did not help at all, but did dissolve extra SMB. But is my solution ruined now because of adding water? Can I still recover any gold? Should try adding heat and evaporating water off? The solution right is consisting of hydrochloric acid, nitric, a drop of sulfuric acid, SMB, water, and gold (and possibly another metal). I did incinerate jewelry, than dissolve base metal in nitric, filter, incinerate again, and than did my aqua regia. If you have any answers to my problems much is appreciated. Is my first time recovering.

Hi and welcome

A couple of questions:

1. Did you test for gold before and after?
2. How do you know your nitric is gone?

Also a final point. If there is gold in that solution and you haven't thrown it away then you haven't lost it. 8)

Jon

I did not test if gold is in solution. Before or after.
Also I don’t know if excess nitric is gone. I did not add any Sulfamic into it.
But I should test for gold first, and if there is any should I add some sulfamic?
And after that does that mean I need to add more SMB?
But I did not throw out solution haha

Hi again

Do a forum search on Stannous Chloride. You need it in your arsenal. Read and learn about it I promise it will help.

Sulphamic is a good buy. Add it till it stops bubbling but for heavens sakes add a tiny amount at a time to start with until the the reaction slows down a bit. Also add it hot.

Test. Test. Test. Without testing you've got no way to know what you're dealing with.

Hopefully I've helped rather than spoonfed the answers- enjoy the journey you'll like it. Stick around.

Jon

Latest posts

Back