Noobie me... Im using the AR method and seeing a black silt.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ziplok

I'm a newbie, I've followed my direction pretty good. I've been studying for months now and finally decided to try the AR method. I was using the reverse electroplating process and I haven't put pen to paper and done the math as far as in and out. I know I'm going to have a great loss because of funds for metals and equipment is going to be high. So I'm not that worried about a little loss here and there. Heck I'm new, so it's going to happen. But I'm determined to make a profit from this. So I'm at the point of starting the process of using AR. I've just started doing my first smb drop. I'm doing it slowly and carefully and also a couple cups at a time. If I'm going to screw it up, do it small. The first was about a cup and a half. My main batch was a 6.3 oz of material. So I have a lot of acids to go through. But I've noticed that I had some black silt with the brown. The black silt looks just like the same material from when I was doing the reverse electroplating process. I started this yesterday and today I noticed that the first drop off was nothing but brown and the black was gone. Is this normal ? I just got some more of my AR and did 2 more equal smb drops and I see a lot of black silt in it too. I've spent a lot at this point and need to cash out. So does this sound like Im ok?

Please define what material you are refining and pictures will help.

You do not mention stannous chloride testing. When acid refining stannous chloride is your eyes. Without it you cannot see if there is gold in solution, so you are guessing. If you don't want to have losses, stop guessing and post your questions after you know for sure there is or is not gold in solution.

If you give enough details you will be helped but nobody likes to give answers when not enough detail has been presented.

Latest posts

Back