not Precipitating

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

ok so i just finished my very first batch of fingers and cpu's. I have a nice Emerald green Solution. I have filtered the solution. I tried to precipitate and nothing.

I am using the Shor method. And i know i shouldn't have used that method. I found this forum after the fact.

I used Muriatic Acid with the Sub Zero to disolve over night. I also used Urea. When adding the Storm precipitant.....nothing.

Any suggestions???

ok so i just checked it for content. And it comes out clear not purple so i have more silver than anything.

Two solutions:

A) No gold was present or not in significant amount

B) Neutralization with the urea was not complete and the SMB did not precipitate the gold.

Do you have any gold testing solution ? This would help a lot.

Yes i do have some gold testing solution and i tested it and it goes clear at first then dries to a light yellow.

It means that there's not much gold in your solution...

Gold plated pins, especially the recent ones, are lightly plated. Don't expect much yield unless you have a few kilos...

first off ,how many fingers did you use ,second with the shore procedure you should have used ap first hydrocloric/peroxide you can learn how to do this from lazers5teves site or from here in this forum ,it is very easy to do,then move on to the shore system it dose work but you have to lose as mutch of the base metal as possible,try this and keep rolling good luck

Since you do have the Gold foil on the fingers and CPU`s and the base metals mixed together, that does mean there is Gold in solution.

Gold testing solution (Stannous Chloride?) will not work in the presence of a lot of base metals. Especially if there is Iron in there and its a nice green color :)

What you can do to try to recover your values is use a Zinc dust precip process. Some base metals drop along with the Gold, but you will separate the values away from most of the base junk in solution.

Also it is not likely there is any Silver in solution. First there is not any in the fingers, and large cpu`s don`t have any. Its mostly Tin, Nickel or the PGM`s that most beginners see that they think is Silver.

Second the HCL will precip any Silver as Silver Chloride. IF there is any Silver Chloride it will be in the sludge at the bottom.

Like everybody says get Hokes` book. Good luck.

Al

Latest posts

Back