old board

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theitalianhenchman

Good evening everyone,
This is my first post; I've been a member for a while but I never posted before.
I scrap computer as an hobby; I collect some pieces and I conserve some chips or fingers or pins for a future refining, I sell the board and the metals to cover the expenses so it is a kind of "free" hobby.
I'm writing because I have a couple of old board, the kind of board with one side with pins and the other with chips and the pins are all connected between them with wire.
Now, I have read in an old post that this wire is silver plated, and in fact it seems to have a silver coating (or even pure silver, but it seems a little too strange or too good to be true:) ).
My question is: it is worth to take it away carefully and then peel the cable to collect the silver? I'm asking because I'm struggling to take away every single little wire and it will take forever to clean the board. Do you have some advice on how to depopulate this kind of board?
Thanks!

Wire-wrap wire is often silver plated, but really, compared to gold, silver is practically worthless. The amount of work needed to recover $1 of silver from wire-wrap wire cannot possibly be worth it.

The long pins sticking through the board, fully gold plated ? probably worth an order of magnitude more than the silver plated wire.

Latest posts

Back