Orange, red, and black, then there’s shiny metals oh my!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the feed back, and reminder. Will take apppropiate measures to contain, storage (red) and await assay! Yggdrasil, my amateur version: sandstone, mineral PGM intrusion, high sulfide with Fe oxide. The red followed roasting. Are you seeing this as cinnabar?thanks!
Just a heads up.
I'm not a mining/ore guy ;)

That last pic could be either some sort of mercury mineral, OR weathered bog iron, which we have a LOT of in southern NJ and looks very much like that, right down to the branching darker streaks of more stable iron oxide forms.

Thank you for the feed back, and reminder. Will take apppropiate measures to contain, storage (red) and await assay! Yggdrasil, my amateur version: sandstone, mineral PGM intrusion, high sulfide with Fe oxide. The red followed roasting. Are you seeing this as cinnabar?thanks!
If this vein was found somewhere in MD, then mercury is highly unlikely. It's likely to be an iron ore, which has been found in numerous locations in MD. MD also has many scattered gold deposits, some placer, some hard-rock, which were not discovered until surprisingly recently (first gold found near the Civil War time, and only mined significantly around WWII).

There may indeed be many small gold-bearing veins undiscovered as yet.

Thanks Alondro, there’s bog iron in the region! seems to have been produced with Platinum group metals and sandstone host rock. From my amateur researching NJ and Maryland - ie east coastal bays are/were created from the Chesapeake bay impact crater (25-35ma) and ejecta resulting from bolide.
That's just a myth. The REALITY is that NJ was the first opening of the Hellmouth (hence the many demons lurking in the Pine Barrens to this day!) #TrueInternetFacts 🤪

Good morning Alondro, I’m open to that. Let’s keep up with each other.
Cool! We'll be checking out side-streams on the Gunpowder Falls creeks. The main creekbed is filled with deep, ancient sediments and impossible to pan effectively in most cases. But there are a number of side streams with pools and gravels resting on cracked bedrock. One little excursion for just a couple hours proved that heavies settled DEEP into those recesses, as we found large garnets near the bottom of those sediments. Didn't have the tools for getting into cracks or the time to REALLY investigate the bedrock upstream, as it was just a brief trek to look at the geology and demonstrate panning to my cousin and a friend of mine. I want to better check out that little stream in particular, as it's a northward-facing fault on the backside of a low hill the main creek cut through. It's perpendicular to the creek, and forms a natural trap. Lots of stuff could have been stuck there before the creek eroded through

Thanks for sharing. I’ve been to gunpowder prior to rock hounding. Calming area, would be a great location. Baltimore has hidden beauty also. Creeks, and many streams, I’m sure it hasn’t been panned in the past 200 years if at all. A few years back heavy waters cut new banks. It s located as a part of the piedmont, exotic terrains (mixed geology ) portion. I have travelled and fly, jigged and caught crayfish within creeks and rivers for the past 40 years in Maryland Wash. DC area. Again, just getting a new set of eyes for the mineralogy. Would be great to be there with like minded folks. And thanks again for including me.

Thanks for sharing. I’ve been to gunpowder prior to rock hounding. Calming area, would be a great location. Baltimore has hidden beauty also. Creeks, and many streams, I’m sure it hasn’t been panned in the past 200 years if at all. A few years back heavy waters cut new banks. It s located as a part of the piedmont, exotic terrains (mixed geology ) portion. I have travelled and fly, jigged and caught crayfish within creeks and rivers for the past 40 years in Maryland Wash. DC area. Again, just getting a new set of eyes for the mineralogy. Would be great to be there with like minded folks. And thanks again for including me.
Yep, we'll just have to keep in touch until we get into October and I can plan a trip! My aunt and uncle live in Maryland, so I can plan a whole weekend down there for prospecting. :]

Latest posts

Back