Palladium Oxide

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mowrey

I have a batch of what I think is Palladium (II) Oxide to refine. It scans pure Pd on the XRF, but appearance-wise it looks much more granular than any of the palladium sponge I've processed in the past.

I know I can dissolve in aqua regia and refine as usual, but I wanted to see if anyone else had come across this material before or knew the best way to refine it. My idea was to dissolve, precipitate with zinz, and then smelt the solids that drop out of solution.

Any information or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've attached a picture as well.

Attachments

• pd oxide pic.jpg
    pd oxide pic.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
Palladium oxide can be melted directly to palladium in oxygen free atmosphere
Even in air it will decompose, if you pass certain temperatures. Phase diagram Pd/O is clear about that. But I do not know personally how quickly it will decompose, or if the evolution of O2 would be violent or tame. Never melted straight PdO personally, but melted heavily oxidized Pd powder. It went without any problems.

Palladium oxide can be melted directly to palladium in oxygen free atmosphere
I attempted to melt it in an induction furnace with a flame blanket. The material started wafting out of the crucible, so I shut it down and now I'm thinking my best bet is to refine it. Would an Argon blanket make any difference do you think? Thanks for your replies.

Calcined PdO would not dissolve that well in acids, that is the reason why cats are heated in reducing atmosphere and cooled in reducing atmosphere - to convert oxidized PGMs back to metallic form, and ease the leaching. If you have it in pure form, I will try to reduce it (if you have proper equipment for it, hydrogen cylinder and other stuff).

Or taking a small sample (not very big column of the powder, blocking passage of the gasses), and slowly heating to the temperature where the evolution of the gas start. Then by spoon adding it in small increments, observing the reaction.

As PdO is somewhat oxidizing, graphite is reducing. I have experience that switching between oxidizing and reducing atmosphere during the melt cause palladium to spit. So there is maybe immediate reaction upon these two. Hard to say.

I will wait if someone more experienced on PGMs chime in.

PS: what is the source of PdO ? unusual Pd material to have.

Doesn't look "right" to me. Looks more like a supported catalyst and if you paid on XRF not on melt, you're in for trouble.

All the PdO I've ever made and processed was a brown powder, insoluble in aqua regia but in HBr or HI, soluble. Usually I just heat it in hydrogen or boil it with ammonium formate.

I have a batch of what I think is Palladium (II) Oxide to refine. It scans pure Pd on the XRF, but appearance-wise it looks much more granular than any of the palladium sponge I've processed in the past.

I know I can dissolve in aqua regia and refine as usual, but I wanted to see if anyone else had come across this material before or knew the best way to refine it. My idea was to dissolve, precipitate with zinz, and then smelt the solids that drop out of solution.

Any information or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've attached a picture as well.
Hello

barstool?
Having trouble posting?
I can not Hear you...

Maybe try just posting something instead of using the quote thing) or quoting with nothing to add.
I never really understood how to use the quote or other functions, I know I would have problems if I tried all these years and I am still a computer illiterate dummy).

barstool?
Having trouble posting?
I can not Hear you...

Maybe try just posting something instead of using the quote thing) or quoting with nothing to add.
I never really understood how to use the quote or other functions, I know I would have problems if I tried all these years and I am still a computer illiterate dummy).
I call it parrot talk ;)

Back