Partially plated pins

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aumoon

How do I knock the gold off of partially plated pins so as to prepare for AR solution, have a lot that are plated on only one side. Nitric? Really need to conserve that stuff, any other way?

aumoon said:
How do I knock the gold off of partially plated pins so as to prepare for AR solution, have a lot that are plated on only one side. Nitric? Really need to conserve that stuff, any other way?

Plenty actually.
Process we call AP, crockpot method, glycine, sulfuric cell and some other even better but they require certain level of experience.
Partially plated pins are not for AR and certainly a waste of good nitric too.

patnor1011,
Thank you for your reply, I have thought of doing it that way and your advice has confirmed it !
Thanks again. (AP)

I listed AP first not because it is the best, it is probably the worst from what I mentioned, certainly the slowest of all. If you do have some quantity of pins you will be better suited to explore other methods I mentioned.
The best suited method is one I did not mentioned however cyanide based leach like ecogoldex or straight ferrocyanide. It require certain level of experience and certain level of caution but if one manage to perfect it on small samples and can safely and responsible deal with waste produced it is one of the best processes for that kind of material cost-wise and time-wise.

Yep patnor is spot on, for plated pins or other similar feedstock where there is a small amount of gold over a large amount of base metal, you will want to very seriously consider the Sulfuric cell or Cyanide leach. The main problem with using acids is actually not the cost, but how you deal with the buckets of toxic waste you create.

Hi I'm not new but this is the first time I have posted on any forum. I have been reading this forum for almost a year. Thank u all for all the information here. I have read hokes book. Great stuff. I'm just now getting to where I can actually recover gold. I recently read online about plated pins.

1gram plated pin goes in 12ml HCL 32%

Boil for 3 hours using a stopper in flask or until pins are disolved.

Anyone else heard or tried it???

Thanks again for this place of learning.
Andrew

anachronism said:
The " mark on the right top corner allows you to edit posts Andrew.
Actually, the Quote icon allows you to reply to someone's post while quoting what they've written.

The icon with the pencil in it allows you to edit your own posts.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
anachronism said:
The " mark on the right top corner allows you to edit posts Andrew.
Actually, the Quote icon allows you to reply to someone's post while quoting what they've written.

The icon with the pencil in it allows you to edit your own posts.

Dave

Yep I am a noob. :)

Dave's always on hand to correct me.

andreworange said:
Hi I'm not new but this is the first time I have posted on any forum. I have been reading this forum for almost a year. Thank u all for all the information here. I have read hokes book. Great stuff. I'm just now getting to where I can actually recover gold. I recently read online about plated pins.

1gram plated pin goes in 12ml HCL 32%

Boil for 3 hours using a stopper in flask or until pins are disolved.

Anyone else heard or tried it???

Thanks again for this place of learning.
Andreq

That process is what can be done for kovar pins (magnetic pins) I'm not sure how it will go on copper based pins.

Thank you. I will run a magnet over them first. I several pounds of pins. I boil the pins I have left after burning plastic dip style microchips. I use AP. So I'll. Just throw the magnetic ones in with them next time.

Latest posts

Back