Phenolic slime in my AP

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rag and Bone

I have nasty gobs of phenolic material in a batch of AP. It came from small boards that held gold pins from vintage slide switches. It is sticking to the pins and foils. It doesn't seem to affect the AP, the pins are stripping nicely. My questions:

When the foils are stripped and filtered from solution, how can I get rid of the goop :?: Dissolve it in something, incinerate? Is it safe to burn?

Is this material dangerous to handle when mixed with recovery/refining chemicals :?:

While I'm not advocating you should incinerate-----what you're experiencing is precisely why I never processed anything without incineration.

Harold

I'm struggling with this phenolic crud. I tried incineration on a 1oz. sample using propane in a skillet. It smokes without end. There is over 1 pound of it to deal with. I don't think incineration is the solution.

I have several ounces of foils mixed up with this stuff. I considered putting the gold into solution but I'm not sure what will happen with the phenol present.

Would HCl-Clorox cause problems/dangers with this?

Is there a chemical that will dissolve phenol?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm stymied at this point.

When incinerating, it's a good idea to insure that the product is set aflame----don't let it smolder.

I'm not suggesting you avoid the solvent---just commenting on proper incineration.

Harold

The next tricky part I'm looking at is filtering this stuff. I can't imagine it will pass through a filter.

Harold, I've seen the light on incineration. I'm toasting gold before I put it into solution and it seems to filter and dissolve better. Cheers dude!

Rag and Bone said:
Harold, I've seen the light on incineration. I'm toasting gold before I put it into solution and it seems to filter and dissolve better. Cheers dude!
Should I say "I told you so"? :lol:

It really does make a difference in how materials process.

Harold

Back