Pinpoint detectors

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike,
Do you mean a probe? for when you are digging after
you have detected the item with your detector.
If so I think Uniprobe is good prices vary on what one.
Periscope is the best, but no longer made and hard to find,
Ebay prices have been around $500-600, that is about what
they cost new.
Also you can get a Sunray probe for Minelab and Garrett's
and maybe some others that run inline with the detector.

mike.fortin

One of the reasons the pinpoint detectors or probes were developed was because of the smaller objects that passed through the mesh in sifter baskets and, for the sake of saving a piece of jewelry from being damaged by any digging tools.

I'm not sure what purpose you are asking for---but----for years I successfully
used a small plastic cup. Didn't pay a hundred dollars for it.

I would soften the soil and take small cups full, wave them by the detector. If no sound----dump the soil and get another cup full---wave in front of the coil etc. etc. and so on till the goodie sounded. Don't forget to wave your coil over the hole before filling it back in. heh heh

This is good for nugget hunting in the desert.

I will swear by Whites pinpointer. I got mine for $100 on ebay but they can be found cheaper nowadays.

The reason for pinpointers is to locate your target quicker. Say you just got a silver signal at 8"

You dig your plug and pull it out the ground. Then you take your pinpointer and wave it around plug and inside the hole. It has a range of only an inch or less, so when it buzzes you know exactly where the target is.

This saves LOTS of time, trust me, last summer we probably MD at least 30-40 hours a week. It also cuts down on hole size.

Hope that helps.

I'll get some pictures of the display cases we made from the last 7 years of MDing when I get a chance. Pretty impressive.

Back