pladium gold an silver seperation

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lazersteve said:
What is the percentage of silver in the bar?

Steve

to 'use' an old thread - would you care to make any suggestions as how to best isolate fine pd from ag? The material is presently int he form of thin sheet stock (up to about 10 mil). The alloy is 75% pd and bal silver.

TIA

lazersteve said:
Use AR or HCl-Cl.

The Pd will go into solution and the Ag will remain as solid AgCl.

Steve

I had hoped to avoid digesting the pd if at all possible (guess i should ahve mentioned that sooner, huh?). After doing some research it seems it may be possible to do it electrochemically by controlling the potential across the cell (this was used to refine minute quantities (ug) of radiolabeled ag in mg amounts of pd). (griess et al j electrochem soc, 95 129 (1949) )

Anyone have info on such techniques or other avenues?

Thanks again

I see no reason why nitric acid can not be used. Nitric does dissolve palladium fairly rapidly as it does to silver, but it doesn't have the platinum problem. Once it is all digested, add HCl, the silver precipitates. Filter it and rinse well. All yellow rinse water goes back into the dark brown solution. Add excess HCl and boil down until all nitric is expelled and you'll have H2PdCl6. Reduce with hydrazine, or make the ammonium salt.

If you don't want to bother with that, let me know, I can and will bother with it.

Regards,
Lou

Lou said:
If you don't want to bother with that, let me know, I can and will bother with it.

What would you want to refine it (aprox 25 troy ounces of alloy) and where are you located?

Back