Platinum and rhutenium separeted

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diego Henrique vilela

Hello friends, greetings!! I have an acid solution with platinum and ruthenium and I need separates. The ph is 1 and has sulfuric acid together. I need suggestions from you, I'm thinking of precipitating with zinc powder after that clean with hcl and then dissolve in aqua regia, filter and enter with ammonia chloride to obtain the platinum chlorate. If you have any more efficient suggestions, I am very grateful. Thank you

Olá amigos, saudações!! Tenho uma solução ácida com platina e rutênio e preciso de separações. O ph é 1 e contém ácido sulfúrico junto. Preciso de sugestões suas, estou pensando em precipitar com pó de zinco depois limpar com hcl e depois dissolver em água régia, filtrar e entrar com cloreto de amônia para obter o clorato de platina. Se você tiver alguma sugestão mais eficiente, fico muito grat

Hello friends, greetings!! I have an acid solution with platinum and ruthenium and I need separates. The ph is 1 and has sulfuric acid together. I need suggestions from you, I'm thinking of precipitating with zinc powder after that clean with hcl and then dissolve in aqua regia, filter and enter with ammonia chloride to obtain the platinum chlorate. If you have any more efficient suggestions, I am very grateful. Thank you
I recently dealt with a similar issue involving a platinum sulfate solution. I achieved excellent results by simply dissolving it in aqua regia after cementation with zinc, followed by precipitation with NH4Cl.

Here in Europe, we primarily use alkaline platinum baths with a pH of 14, which simplifies the process. You might consider experimenting with platinum in alkaline solutions, as there is literature available on the subject.

how about the concentration of the metal in the solution. then you can chose which one is first to take out from the solution

I recently dealt with a similar issue involving a platinum sulfate solution. I achieved excellent results by simply dissolving it in aqua regia after cementation with zinc, followed by precipitation with NH4Cl.

Here in Europe, we primarily use alkaline platinum baths with a pH of 14, which simplifies the process. You might consider experimenting with platinum in alkaline solutions, as there is literature available on the subject.
Francesco, did you use a saturated ammonium chloride solution to precipitate the platinum or did you use some specific measure?

Francesco, did you use a saturated ammonium chloride solution to precipitate the platinum or did you use some specific measure?
I think Hokes specifically says saturated.
Washing the filter should be done with a 10% ish solution to avoid re dissolution of the salts.
Or was it done with saturated as well, cant remember now.

After cementing all metals and dissolving in royal water I added the ammonium chloride and the yellow precipitate has already appeared but, its approach of washing with HCl first is safer in my view, the addition of ammonia chloride in platinum sulfate forms a white/brown precipitate which I do not understand being platinum but I have never tested this precipitate.

After cementing all metals and dissolving in royal water I added the ammonium chloride and the yellow precipitate has already appeared but, its approach of washing with HCl first is safer in my view, the addition of ammonia chloride in platinum sulfate forms a white/brown precipitate which I do not understand being platinum but I have never tested this precipitate.
According to Hoke a 15% Ammonium Chloride solution is used to wash it.

Edit for clarity

Last edited:
I think Hokes specifically says saturated.
Washing the filter should be done with a 10% ish solution to avoid re dissolution of the salts.
Or was it done with saturated as well, cant remember now.
Hello friend, yes I have Hokes original book and I have also translated it into Portuguese, my only fear is that a very saturated solution of ammonium chloride could precipitate the ruthenium as well. But I'll follow your advice, thanks

Friends, good Sunday, Francesco, you are Italian, do you know Eugênio Bertorelli and his works, his books??
Galvonotecnia trattato di

Hello friend, yes I have Hokes original book and I have also translated it into Portuguese, my only fear is that a very saturated solution of ammonium chloride could precipitate the ruthenium as well. But I'll follow your advice, thanks
Not my advice, C.M.Hokes advice.

Welcome to the forum.

Please say more about the alloy or scrap type you are cementing these metals from? While zinc will certainly work it will drop many other metals as well. If the solution was relatively clean of base metals zinc is good but if there were a lot of other base metals in the mix, you would benefit from cementation on copper.

Latest posts

Back