Platinum/Palladium from photo waste chemistry

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danc

A friend handed me a number of jugs with darkroom waste from platinum/palladium print developing. I am not sure what the chemistry is, so I am hoping someone knows the processes to recover.

I presume that there is something in there that stripped the pgms from prints during development. I don't know how that chemistry might get in the way.

I can test the chemistry with stannous chloride and don't really see a strong response but it is there. I infer that the concentration of PGMs is small.

I can test with dimethyl glyoxime and see a good bright yellow precipitate so I know at least that there IS some palladium in the chemistry.

I don't get much response with zinc to cement the PGMs. It seems unpredictable. I can get the amber liquid to go black, and on one experiment managed to get a little black powder at the bottom. I have been adding a little bit of HCl to deal with the zinc.

I had hoped to get the black powder. I am now trying to evaporate the amber chemistry down so that it is more concentrated, hoping that that will result in a stronger cementation.

My next step would have been to re-dissolve the PGMs into AR. Then Ammonium Chloride to get the platinum and then I thought I would go back to zinc just to get the palladium down by itself.

I am looking at this for no other reason than to learn the processes.

Anyone who has tried on darkroom Pt/Pd before who is willing to share some ideas?

If it were me, I'd try sodium thiosulfate and precipitate a mixture of S8 and Pd/Pt sulfides.

I'd then settle that, decant, and redissolve the precipitate in aqua regia, filter the pregnant solution, evaporate to near syrup, kill excess nitrates, precipitate the platinum with excess KCl as K2PtCl6 for subsequent processing which I would then filter it off. I'd return to the Pt-depleted liquid, add in sodium hypochlorite then chill and filter out the Pd as red K2PdCl6. I'd return excess waste liquid (after heating to remove excess Cl2) to cementation or IX.

Thank you. That might be what I am looking for. I will post back when I get some time to try this...

Latest posts

Back