please tell me what this is?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad13133

this is a smart phone camera. Well I should say it was a smart phone camera. Anyhow what are those super reflective rectangular shaped pieces called and what are they made out of is it glass?

Attachments

• 008CC0B1-2271-427B-92E4-BB4A23B3BA93.jpeg
    008CC0B1-2271-427B-92E4-BB4A23B3BA93.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
this is a smart phone camera. Well I should say it was a smart phone camera. Anyhow what are those super reflective rectangular shaped pieces called and what are they made out of is it glass?
These days such sensors are typically CCD sensors or CMOS sensors depending on the use case, specifications and vendor.

They are typically fabricated onto silicon wafers in ways very similar to other intergrated circuits (ICs, chips) and have essentially no precious metal value. However the tiny bonding wires connecting the silicon to the lead frames, if gold, do provide a few nano/micro grammes of gold and if you had a bucket of such sensors you could perhaps recover something. The connector may have more gold in the plated contacts but it is still very little.

Modern consumer electronics has less gold all the time as they only selectively plate only where it is absolutely required and as thin as possible.

Latest posts

Back