POE injector PCB

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worker0

Heloo,

I dont know why, but I take sample of solder from POE injector. Solder from backside( oposite of side with power inlet, and 2 ethernet ports ) anf with couriosity put in batch of AP solution. This material dont react at all with AP. To take sample of it i needed to heat it with hot air gun for about 2 minuted on about 500 °C ( hot air gun is declared on 550 i calculate 50°C loss ). Is it possible that is some silver in it?

If you are in an experimenting mood, try the aquaintance tests in Hoke's book. You will learn the answers to your questions. But do so safe.
You need to learn how different metals react to different acids, strong or diluted, hot or cold.
The solder will most likely not be worth refining, but good to learn from.
Martijn.

Thank you. I just wanted to know is there any silver. Chemicals are very chep but hard to buy. Idea come that there can be come becsuse it did not react on AP, on which solder usually react. I tested few samples and they reacted.

Take Martijn’s advice. You will learn a lot, possibly enough to understand and mitigate potential problems later on.

Time for more coffee.

Modern electronics (ROHS regulations) are made with lead free solders. Some have small additions of silver, up to 2%. Some are silver free, so you have to test somehow to know for sure.

Göran

The last electronics solder I bought was 96% tin, 2% silver and 2% bismuth.

I understand that silver free has 2% antimony instead of the silver.

Some might have, there are a nearly infinite number of different mixtures used as lead free solder and it's evolved over the years.

Göran

Latest posts

Back