Possible rock containing gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 72620

Last year we had a lintel replaced in our Victorian town house which is primarily built from granite. Some stones fell out of the wall and among them was this which sparked my curiosity.

It broke and this is the larger piece - the pictures don't do it much justice but there is a lovely gold shine in places which looks like gold in quartz. Some of the smaller gold pieces I tested with a magnet and they were not magnetic.

Is anyone able to shed any more light on this as well as how I could go about selling it if it is worth anything. I have set this next to a wine bottle for scale and it is pretty heavy for a stone of its size (2.8kg).

I know very little about these things and any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20230916_100006.jpg
    20230916_100006.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230916_100102.jpg
    20230916_100102.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230916_100047.jpg
    20230916_100047.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230916_100018.jpg
    20230916_100018.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230916_100139.jpg
    20230916_100139.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last year we had a lintel replaced in our Victorian town house which is primarily built from granite. Some stones fell out of the wall and among them was this which sparked my curiosity.

It broke and this is the larger piece - the pictures don't do it much justice but there is a lovely gold shine in places which looks like gold in quartz. Some of the smaller gold pieces I tested with a magnet and they were not magnetic.

Is anyone able to shed any more light on this as well as how I could go about selling it if it is worth anything. I have set this next to a wine bottle for scale and it is pretty heavy for a stone of its size (2.8kg).

I know very little about these things and any help would be much appreciated!
Welcome to us, but I think this will disappoint you.
We are first and foremost a forum of Refining not Geology.
Anyway this looks like Pyrite for me.
Gold is soft and smears, this has a crystalline surface.

Welcome to us, but I think this will disappoint you.
We are first and foremost a forum of Refining not Geology.
Anyway this looks like Pyrite for me.
Gold is soft and smears, this has a crystalline surface.
Thanks for the reply, I thought it would probably be nothing!

Thanks again.

It is definitely a pyrite mineral contained within that host rock. It may have some value, only determined by a fire assay, an ICP, or bottle roll test, among some others. If it had value, you would need 1000's of tons to justify setting up a recovery system to recover the PM's. Put it on the mantle for display. Go out and geologize some to find the source.

Back