Precious metals from powders

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hova19

A friend has rhodium palladium and gold in various powders i.e xphospd palladium acetyacetone and others

Can't seem to find anyone who would deal with it in uk, does anyone know of any companies and if they are actually worth recovering ?

If the powders are for plating it might have more value as that product.

checkout the https://www.finishing.com/index.html some one might be interested in it.

Eric

I have more of an idea what they are now Pd and RH pre catalyst powders and finishing powders, also PD acetate and PD + RH on carbon. They are definitely worth recovering as the minimum PD is 10% with some of the sigma aldrich stuff close to 40%.

Still need to find someone to deal with it, hopefully at not too much of a charge.

20200803_181155.jpg

As an update still can't find anyone in uk but if I can sprt shipping lou will take them. Finally got them all emptied out and took multiple XRF of the powder, think the PD content has raised now everything is all together as the last ones was chloride and acetates.20200803_175815.jpg

20200803_175552.jpg
20200803_175354.jpg20200803_175138.jpg

Please keep in mind that (your handheld) XRF cannot discern things like C, O, N, H which your material has. That said, do not ascribe anything to the XRF readings.

The only thing that matters on that is the input weight, the after incineration weight, and the assay.

I'd just as soon wished you hadn't added the Rh in with the Pd as that makes a straightforward job into a multimetal separation.

If at all possible, please let me know which salts were mixed in. Some of the P containing ones leave residues that cause problems down the road, particularly with the solvent extractant that I'll now have to use to separate the Rh from the Pd.

I still have the RH complexes in a separate jar.

I know this handheld XRF is not reliable either, it said I had 18% PD in a dental bar then when I sent away for a professional assay there was around 30% and I have had it much lower.
Would it add the elements it can not read to the balance or would that not be counted into anything on the XRF ?

I can onky give some of the names on the bottles they was
(T-bu) phcphos pd g4
Allypalladiuk dimer
Palladium II chroride
Palladium acetate
Bis(dibenzylideneacetone)palladium(0)
Tris(dibenzylideneacetone)dipalladium(0)-chloroform
Dichlopalladium

And lots lots more

Update

Lou kindly said he could process them if I could sort out shipment to america but it seems i would need to be trained to ship it.

In the UK labs can not assay it.
Small refiners can not process it, some claim a common melt and assay will be fine (but well known labs wont melt and assay) .
One of the small refiners that claimed they could process them wanted me to post them with royal mail and when I said they are classed as toxic solids and cant be sent via royal mail they said its best they dont process it.
Bigger refiners want minimum 500kg or need to be a company.

I have also had trouble sending out of the country honesty I have little faith left in parcel post.
The difficulty in locating a refiner with a mint to process your materials is mind boggling.
I'm a self taught refiner and prospector. And have been out there looking for a good honest person or company to work on some things.and the truth is... There are thousands upon thousands of scams we buy gold places but I've found only few places that would even discuss anything, mostly I feel because they don't know or have no intention of fulfillment of services,
There should be more places to access these services. From an individual perspective...
In today's society you can strike gold and they will call it something else and keep it.... And since there are so few operating mints and foundries they have a cornered market.
I guess the fewer to contest them the more power the feel they have.
Well I can go on and on...

Latest posts

Back