Precipitating metals

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bswartzwelder

I have purchased the ISHOR SubZero kit :cry: only to hear from others on the Net that the actual SubZero chemical is nothing more that sodium nitrate. So, mix 8 ounces of sodium nitrate with 16 ounces HCl and you have a "Poor Mans Aqua Regia". Dump your metal into it and voila the metal disappears into the solution. Now we all know that to get our gold back, we precipitate it with SMB. I have seen a video which states we can recover any platinum by precipitating it out with ammonium chloride or potassium chloride. Now, if there's any silver left in the solution, it can be cemented out by suspending a small piece of copper tubing into the solution. All the rest of the metals will come out if you then place some aluminum foil into the mixture. Does this sound reasonable? If so, is there any particular sequence to do this? Also, once the aluminum foil precipitates all the other metals, what is left in the liquid part of the mix? The metals can be dried off, but would the other chemicals pose a significant threat to the environment? If so, how do you get rid of them?

Best you read Hoke, so you understand how silver behaves. The sequence you described is not correct.

Welcome to the forum.

Harold

Harold and everyone else: Thank you for all the help you have been. I have started reading Hoke, but it really seems like a daunting task. I hope she has written in a style which is easy to understand.

bswartzwelder said:
Harold and everyone else: Thank you for all the help you have been. I have started reading Hoke, but it really seems like a daunting task. I hope she has written in a style which is easy to understand.
It's not only easy to understand, but she speaks in terms that don't require an education in chemistry. Best of all, if you absorb her teachings, you'll be able to refine without outside help. It's all in her book.

Harold

Latest posts

Back