Pressure tank calculation

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonn

I know this may not be recognized as relevant to gold refining, but if you bear with me I will explain. I am looking to build a pressure tank that will handle up to 1200 f. Degrees of heat. It also needs to hold 600 psi of internal pressure minimum. If anyone knows how to calculate tank wall thickness according to psi rating, I would really be interested in learning. I have googled it to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to build a steel or stainless steel tank, 36" x 36" that would handle 1200f and also 600 psi internal pressure. I need to know what wall thickness would hold up to regular use under those circumstances. Please don't bump me Harold. It is relevant, pm me if you want to know what I have in mind. Thank you.

1200° temperature at the pressure in question is likely bordering on the impossible. The larger the vessel, the greater the problem, too. I expect that's why you're not having any luck finding information that would be useful. The tensile strength of most ferrous alloys falls off drastically when they are that hot.

Harold

Thank you Harold, if 1200f is not possible, I could reduce the temperature to 600, but I will have to transfer my material. I was trying to use 2 processes with one tank. Is 600f and 600psi possible? Maybe I should reduce my tank diameter as well. I could go down to 20" diameter. Do these changes make it more realistic? Also, if my tank is 20" in diameter, how long could it be before it begins to lose strength? I would think that it could be at least 20" long? I would love to have a chart to look at that would give all the parameters, so that I can design my tank accordingly. Does anyone have access to an ASME boiler design book? They are awful pricey. Thank you.

I'm not sure what your going to put in this but I wouldn't want to be around when it goes bang :shock:

I am not an engineer, nor do I claim to possess the knowledge that might be required to help with your project, but there's a lot of negative features you're attempting to achieve. Temperature, combined with high pressure, is a real killer under normal circumstances. Please don't quote me---and definitely do some research, but if memory serves, steel starts losing strength at about 350°F. By the time you've achieved a red heat (about 1,000°F), it's pretty soft and easily deformed. If I'm not mistaken, the failure of the twin towers was due to warming of the superstructure beyond acceptable limits. You'd be facing much the same thing.

Mind you, I stand to be corrected for anything I've said that isn't factual. Just be very careful when you start working with high pressures and temperatures. Things change in ways you may not understand.

Harold

If you are really serious about this, get ahold of Pfaulder. They can custom design a tank to your specs that would perform safely. If you are not an engineer, you are toying with your life trying to design this. Doctors go to other doctors for help, so should engineers.

1200*F is pretty darn hot, and most steels start to soften but this is no where near close to impossible--probably closer to routine. This would mean your tank would probably need to be made out of a superalloy like an Inco series.

There's a welding shop (and I don't mean your ordinary welding shop) in Canton, Ohio that designs serious process equipment: Gaspar Welding. Might be able to get this knocked out for less than $100K.

Might we ask what the heck you're doing that needs 40+ bar at that temperature.

Furnaces that fit your description exist already with all the design and safety requirements in place.

This is one company with lots of photos. There are others.

http://www.avsinc.com/sinter-hip-furnace.html

Thank you Harold, Lou and Qst42know, I was thinking inconel, monel, hastelloy or Haynes 230. If anyone has some if this in most any shape, I may be interested in buying it,and will pay above scrap price. I know there are a lot of scrappers on this forum, so keep that in mind. The website you gave me Qst, looks good, I will have to spend some time getting aquainted with their processes and formulas. Lou, I am attempting Hydrogen induced depolymerization and steam formation for turbine powered generator control. Thanks folks.

Latest posts

Back