Process Question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eliottbiggs

Help on ideas on what could help reduce pressure swings in a 2 train Hydrodelsfurization unit at around 2000 pounds. Swings start just after the hydrogen is added and go through a heater. Nothing upstream is effected until this point. No hate here just helpful info would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps it is my inexperience, but what does hydrodesulfurization (I assume a misspelling in your question) have to do with precious metal recovery or refining?

Just a guess from looking at the word

I do not know but hydro (water or acid?) de (removal) sulfur.

This sounds like desulfurizing ore with concentrated or strong oxidizers in a solution like H2O2, HNO3, FeCl3...
Instead of an oxidizing roast to desulfurize the ore.

But a quick search it appears they use a catalyst and high temperatures to remove sulfur for oils through a process with a similar name.

https://engage.aiche.org/HigherLogic/System/DownloadDocumentFile.ashx?DocumentFileKey=f7300421-4165-4bac-9d5f-ef60751139ac&ssopc=1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrodesulfurization

Sometimes, where it is used in context with the rest of the article, may give some clue as to what they are referring to.

Hmm, this doesn't seem like a gold or PM recovery or refining thing.

As far as I know, hydrodesulfurization is a petrochemical refining process. This uses catalysts and hydrogen under pressure and heat to remove sulfur from petroleum refinery products like diesel fuel and natural gas (and maybe other petrochemicals). The hydrogen ultimately combines with sulfur to produce hydrogen sulfide, which is then decomposed into elemental sulfur. The more common name for this equipment is a hydrotreater.

The catalysts are nickel or cobalt and molybdenum, so there isn't even a precious metals linkage there.

The biggest usage of this that I am aware of is diesel deep desulfurization - making low sulfur diesel so that it doesn't produce so much SO2 pollution. Governments make diesel fuel specifications tighter every year, although I am still exposed to a huge number of stinky diesels where I live (BC interior).

Ah, the memories this brings back of touring the refineries on Refinery Row in Edmonton, and the heavy oil upgraders in Ft. McMurray and Llloydminster...and the mountains of elemental sulfur...

If you want tips on running a hydrotreater, you might consult books like Meyers' "Handbook of Petroleum Refining Processes." There are also some nice folks at the U of Alberta Pet Engg department that spend a lot of time working on hydrotreating and related heavy oil refining processes.

Latest posts

Back