Question on heavy pins

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have done a couple of batchs of fingers now with what I feel is good success.
I also followed Steve's video and have set up a sulfuric cell which i have been processing CPU lids and heavier pins in. I'm using a converted PC power supply which is rated for 26 amps on the 5 volt section and it seems to be doing a good job. With an inline amp meter i see my cell drawing usually between 2 and 3 amps with a fresh item in and dropping to .2 amp when it finishes. I plan on keeping this cell active and working material through it while waiting on AP batches to process.
So the question. I have a few pounds of pins pulled from connectors that have pretty thick plating but only on one end about 25% of the pin'slength. If i process one of these pins in the cell it takes about 20 - 30 seconds for each one, compared to a normal plated pin taking maybe 5 seconds. These pins are clean with no solder since part of my process is using a chisel to separate them from the back plane. Would it make sense to try to make the gold go into liquid with a solution like you use to dissolve gold before precipitation or is that not possible. It just seems the base metal to gold ratio is so high it wouldn't be cost effective to dissolve the pins.
I have tried using a couple of stainless strainers with pins in them in my cell and i even made a copper ladle for use as a basket it seems like I'm transferring rinse water,trapped in the basket, back to my cell between each rinse cycle. I felt that this ends up diluting my solution and then makes it more susceptible to start pulling in base metal from the pins too. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I potentially have a crap load of these pins to process.
Thanks to everyone here I have been reading this forum every day or so and i feel i have gathered a wealth of information.

You could possibly strip the pins in AP, then process the gold foils like any others. Test a small batch. Some pins strip poorly in AP. It's probably not practical on a large scale but it gets the job done.

Rag & Bone,

Thanks for your reply, I guess what I'm really asking is tho will a heavy chlorine solution dissolve the gold from the pins without having to consume the base metal?

No. It will dissolve everything and contaminate the gold or worse. It would likely be a big headache. The best results are when you deal with all the impurities on the front end. Everything runs smooth when you dissolve gold that is already quite pure.

Back